Security checks at each port?

mommym

My husband and I will be travelling with our 2 young sons this summer. My question has to do with reboarding the ship after being off for the day at port. I planned on both of my boys wearing a small fanny pack (I know, tourist written all over it) or small backpack with things like disposable poncho and other incidentals they may need. It would just save me all of those "Mom, can I use my chapstick?" moments. I'm thinking we will all need to go through security, but if only those carrying things back onto the ship go through security and the rest walk right on I may just suck it up and carry everything myself in my backpack. It really wouldn't add much and if it would allow them to go on ahead with my husband it would be worth it. We do this at Disney where they have a security checkpoint for those carrying things in but those who aren't get right in. After a long day of touring, I'd love to avoid them standing in line unneccessarily. Thanks!

Sorry, but the security checks are set up just like at the airport where you line up, they check your id, and you throw your stuff on the belt. It usually doesn't take that long and the time to check id's is usually equivalent to the time it takes to scan the backpack. The best way to avoid lines is to come back to the ship early enough to avoid the rush.

Even if you are boarding without a back pack, the person (or three) in front of you in the security line will have one and you will be waiting for their back pack to pass through the scanner. Usually the process is pretty quick.

Once or twice I have seen this process move very slowly, but usually only after visiting certain foreign ports, or if you return to the ship at the same time as a larger number of tours return.

Take the packs for the kids.

Also keep in mind passengers have their ID cards individually scanned out and back onto the ship. Besides providing positive ID for security, it tells them if everyone is back on board or not. They can sail early if everyone is back on board and adjust their manifest if people missed the ship. Any kids older than toddlers will need to carry and present their own cards...another reason for individual packs. It will also give them a sense of importance as well as responsibility for their cards.

Archived