New to Carnival..Better to book direct or TA??

shaycamp21

No need to find a "knowledgeable" (:rolleyes:) TA

I already have a CARNIVAL PVP for my CARNIVAL cruises :D

Oh ok.......you mentioned other lines......thought you needed someone with a vast knowledge of all lines;)

Happy Carnival cruising!

The other thing for me is, we only sail every other year. Therefore hitting Platinum and getting some perks is a priority for me, not to mention I'm really not interested in anything Carnival doesn't offer (at this time), so I'm not in need of anyone with knowledge of any other lines.

Most of what I learned about Carnival I learned on here prior to sailing, therefore I'd assume I'm capable of learning the ropes of the other lines, if I do choose to sail them. No?

Hi, I am analytical, so I research the ship, ports of call and prices on line. Then I figure out what I want and go to cruise compete dot com. I post there the best price I've found for the cabin I want and then ask if anyone can beat that price and add OBC, specialty dining, etc...

You will usually receive back at least six quotes. Then I make a couple of phone calls, look up their custumer service rating and book with the agent I feel comfortable with that is offering the best price. Last cruise, I got the same price quoted from my PVP, but with 300 OBC for the cabin added.

It only took me 10 minutes to post my quote request and I made two phone calls, to get $300.00.:)

Yep, the TA can do much more than a PVP, including confusing the crap out of you when they mix up the products they're selling (like the different TA's I've spoken to!).

If I'm booking specifically a CARNIVAL cruise, why would I book it with a TA who knows a little bit about Cunard, HAL, Costa, PCL, NCL, RCL, MSC, X, or Seabourn, instead of booking with someone who is specifically trained on CARNIVAL cruises??? (and don't tell me "because they can give me a lower price" because I don't shop for cheap, I shop for quality. Otherwise I would go to Denny's for a steak dinner).

My TA HATES Carnival. Not because of the cruise, but because of the way they treat TA's. But there is no doubt in my mind that she is equal or better in Carnival knowledge than the absolute BEST PVP. You cannot minimize a TA by claiming the PVP's are better trained. The comparison MUST be between good TA's and good PVP's. In that comparison the TA always wins. Comparing a good PVP to a bad TA, of course I'd say go with the PVP.

READ the boards, the complaints about Carnival MISINFORMATION equal or EXCEED the complaints about TA problems.

And the MYTH about not being able to talk to Carnival if you book with a TA is just that, a MYTH. Yes, if you call and open with, "I have already booked a cruise with a TA, so there is no way you can get any credit for helping me, will you help me?" PROBABLY NOT. But if you call and JUST ask questions, NOT give info, your question about anything but changing your reservation will be answered. And if you are booked with a PVP thru ESP and you change your res., you have opened a whole new can of worms.

50 cruises, I have NEVER changed a reservation yet. But, silly me, I plan ahead.

Saving money? If I could get Peter Luger's steak at Denny's, I'd be dining at Denny's.

Dan

And you know this information, HOW?

And even if true, you are talking about TA's operating out of a packing crate. I'm talking about TA's that are actually in business. TA's where, BY CONTRACT, They have agreed to not advertise rates below Carnival's rate and CARNIVAL HAS AGREED TO NOT UNDERSELL THE TA.

Also, even tho this is a Carnival board, and Carnival is my favorite line, MOST of the people here will cruise on some other line at some point. Even the newbies will takes cruises on non-Carnival branded ships. They might be CCL owned, but not Carnival branded. ASK your PVP to book you on Cunard, HAL, Costa, PCL, NCL, RCL, MSC, X, Seabourn. They cannot even begin to help, even with the sister lines. My TA can and does help with all the lines and AT NO COST TO ME, and almost always a SAVINGS to me.

So, a PVP can do ABSOLUTELY nothing a "REAL" TA cannot do. But the TA can and often does much the PVP cannot do.

Dan

VaToGo calls Carnival. Costco calls Carnival. NLG (national leisure group) calls Carnival. AAA calls Carnival. I wouldn't call those companies as operating out of a packing crate. Besides, in your prior post you said:

TA's have the EXACT same access to the ESP that Carnival people do. And EVERY other price and promotion that Carnival has. And if a TA wishes to, they can ALWAYS, without exception, BEAT Carnival's best price. Carnival WILL NOT price match a TA.

Dan

You are now backtracking to say that you really meant "I'm talking about TA's that are actually in business." That makes absolutely no sense. You didn't put "some TA's" you said "TA's have the exact same access." A TA is a TA whether good or bad (might not be in business much longer, but none the less is still a TA).

Of course PVP's can't book other lines like a TA. Then again, when people come onto this CARNIVAL board asking about CARNIVAL PVP or a TA, they obviously want to take a CARNIVAL CRUISE. Not RCL, Princess, etc...

Thousands of posts does NOT equal being more knowledgeable (and it seems like half of your posts have to do with PVP vs TA threads).

Not that it matters, but I have always agreed with 99% of your posts (except these threads).

VaToGo calls Carnival. Costco calls Carnival. NLG (national leisure group) calls Carnival. AAA calls Carnival. I wouldn't call those companies as operating out of a packing crate.

My question to you [so far unanswered] was: And you know this info, HOW?

I just called VaToGo. Can you book Early Saver Program? OF course. Does Carnival have ANY program you cant match? Like what? Past passenger, resident, Platinum? No, we can do any price they do.

Dan

I have not and will not bother calling the rest to get the exact same answer.

Besides, in your prior post you said:

You are now backtracking to say that you really meant "I'm talking about TA's that are actually in business." That makes absolutely no sense. You didn't put "some TA's" you said "TA's have the exact same access." A TA is a TA whether good or bad (might not be in business much longer, but none the less is still a TA).

Now that one part of your info is incorrect, using a name you provided, I won't bother with the rest. IF you have better info, NAME YOUR SOURCE!

Of course PVP's can't book other lines like a TA. Then again, when people come onto this CARNIVAL board asking about CARNIVAL PVP or a TA, they obviously want to take a CARNIVAL CRUISE. Not RCL, Princess, etc...

Thousands of posts does NOT equal being more knowledgeable (and it seems like half of your posts have to do with PVP vs TA threads).

Not that it matters, but I have always agreed with 99% of your posts (except these threads).

Simple fact is, neither TA's or PVP have 'special powers' but independent business people [TA's] have MORE flexibility than hourly wage clerks. They also have the incentive to make money rather than 'keep a paycheck.' That bothers some people today with the abuse of some, but without that drive to make money, there is no USA.

PROVE me wrong and I'll admit it. It HAS happened before. [unless I'm wrong about that]

The OP is right to ask the question here. But it is but a single source of opinion. The OP must weigh your OPINION against my OPINION, as well as look into EVERY possible source of knowledge before spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on ANYTHING. If we are to be treated well in all our dealings, WE must do the due diligence so that WE KNOW when we are not being treated well. Failure to prepare ourselves is our own fault.

Dan

Archived