Car Rental IN Philipsburg

rick_1955

Can anyone talk about the logistics of renting a car in Philipsburg for a day near the pier that you arrive at? Thanks.

There are 4 or 5 booths right at the end of the pier, Hertz, Budget and several local operators. They all close at 5 PM sharp in the afternoon. We usually use Hertz. Buy the insurance since your US insurance is not good here.

I rent from Arthur, of Arthur's Car Rentals. He's about 50 yards outside the gate at the pier. He's pretty flexible with things and has provided really good service the 4 or 5 times I have rented from him. When I email him he always gets back to me very quickly.

http://www.arthurscarrental.com/

One time when renting I arrived and the fellow ahead of me was in a tizzy because the Jeep he rented was manual and he wasn't comfortable driving it. I bailed him out by switching vehicles. Last year I goofed and booked on the wrong day (St Maarten, St kitts...who knew??) Arthur bailed me out even though his cars were all rented by calling a friend and getting me a car in 15 minutes.

Just got back from St. Martin - we used Budget and booked a car online the night before our ship arrived (we were coming from St. Thomas, so I was still getting service on my phone and could use the web on that for free). The little rental office is to your right once you reach the end of the pier, it took less than 10 minutes to get our car. Cost around $77 US (that was with the insurance) for 4-door automatic sedan. Renting the car was super easy, and for four of us, it was the most economical way to see the entire island on our own schedule.

Archived