Hair Braiding

naylenk

Hi

We will be on the AOS in January. We are leaving from San Juan and going to Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas and St. Martin. I would love to get my hair braided at least once. Any ideas of where there are people braiding hair?

Thanks

You won't have a problem finding someone to braid your hair. They everywhere and they won't leave you alone. If I had a nickel for every time my wife, who has short hair, was asked, "Hey lady, you want your hair braided," I'd have been able to pay for the cruise.

We saw several people who had their hair braided and I never saw or heard of any lice problems.

we were on the aos in feb 02, (going again this feb!) and the first stop is aruba, we had a local at the wyndham braid our girls hair, she did it right on the pool deck which was great as we could still sun and swim while they got it done. At the time the wyndham offered day passes for free, I guess they make up the money at the restaurants.

You won't have a problem finding someone to braid your hair. They everywhere and they won't leave you alone. If I had a nickel for every time my wife, who has short hair, was asked, "Hey lady, you want your hair braided," I'd have been able to pay for the cruise.

We saw several people who had their hair braided and I never saw or heard of any lice problems.

doug,

My daughter had her hair braided in Jamaica. She cried the whole time because they hurt. they lasted long enough for me to get a picture. But she brought home lice with her. They took along time to get rid of.

Tj

I have hair that is down to my waist & I get it braided everytime I go to the Bahamas. I have them braid from front to just behind my ears & pay $2.00 per braid, I like my braids very small & usually end up with about 35. Yes, it takes a couple of hours & if you want it done right it does hurt a little. Of course, I am usaully having a pina colada while getting braids. I have never had a problem with lice & have never used my own comb. The best part is that the braids usually last at least 4 weeks after I get home. Do use a q-tip & put suntan lotion on your scalp.

Wendy

I have to say that I spoke with a co-worker last night that had her hair braided a couple of years ago on a cruise. She brought home lice and when she wanted the braids taken out, her hair dresser wanted to charge her $50. After having spoke with her I don't think I'd get close to one of those lady's wanting to braid your hair for $5 (the cost at the time my co-worker had her hair braided).

I have had my hair braided three times now. Have never had a problem with lice, or any other problem for that matter.

To take them out the best place is in the shower. Coat well with conditioner and they come out fairly easy. It just takes a little time.

Joyce

My niece had her hair braided when she was at Orient Beach (St. Martin) with us. We negotiated the price down from $80 to $30, plus we tipped the lady as well. It took about an hour and a half and didn't hurt her at all. She had her whole head done with beads, never had any problems with lice, and the braids came out easily in the shower.

Linda

I got my hair braided in Jamaica, and although I had no problem with lice, I was aghast at how much hair I lost when I took the braids out. I guess they were so tight and with moving and sleeping with them in for the week it snapped so much of my hair. I was soooo upset. After I undid the braids my hair was falling out in chunks. It was HORRIBLE!!!

we were on the aos in feb 02, (going again this feb!) and the first stop is aruba, we had a local at the wyndham braid our girls hair, she did it right on the pool deck which was great as we could still sun and swim while they got it done. At the time the wyndham offered day passes for free, I guess they make up the money at the restaurants.

We were also on the AOS in February 02 and going again February 05.

Which week are you sailing?

My daughter had it done at Labadee, $40, our own comb, no lice, no problems. It did hurt a little while it was being braided but she was very glad she had it done. It also came out very easily. Just unwind the bands and take off the beads and unbraid the hair, no problem. SO much better than those hair wraps, those I would never do again.

Archived