Morne Rouge - Best Way to Get There?

Sailor Gal

We want to spend the day at Morne Rouge beach. Is it best to hire a taxi or try the bus? Where would we find the bus and the taxi and does anyone know the prices? There are 6 of us. Would we have a hard time returning from Morne Rouge? How would we go about it? Appreciate any recommendations/tips. THX

The bus only goes to Grand Anse. You either have to walk from there to Morne Rouge or take a taxi. I've read that it is about $6 each US one way for a taxi, but did not experience this personally. When you ask a price, be sure you are talking US$, not Eastern Caribbean $'s or whatever they use--there are about 2.5 of these to $1 US.

If you are reasonably fit, you can do the bus option--they run really often between Rousseau and Grand Anse. To get to the bus station, walk out through the mall to the street and take a left. Walk 2 or 3 blocks and the station will be on the same side of the street as the pier. The Grand Anse route is 1--the number will be up at the ceiling. Just ask if you can't find it. The buses are actually vans, usually Toyota HiAce. Tell the driver you want to go to Grand Anse so they will let you out when you get there. Fare was $1 US in January.

When you get off the bus, walk to the end of the beach farthest from town, or just stay on the road that runs parallel to the beach. Follow the road up the hill past a hotel complex. When you get to the top, you can see Morne Rouge beach. The road will go to the right, then do a switchback to the left to bring you down to beach level. To get back to town, retrace your steps. A bus may come along, but if they are off route, they charge taxi rates--$15 EC or $6 US per person. Remember that driving is on the left side of the road so wait for the bus on that side. The walk was not that far and the view was terrific.

We really enjoyed riding the bus and mingling with the locals. It will take more time than a taxi, obviously.

It depends on what you are looking for. I found Grand Anse very crowed, but many ships weree in town that day and it was high season. Mourne Rough is more quiet. A nice beach but not much nicer than Grand Anse, I think.

We were at this beach 2 weeks ago,beautiful and quiet,got a taxi from cruise ship dock about $5 (U.S)per person, told him what time to return to ship, and he was there waiting ,takes about 20 mins.Much quieter than G.Anse no jetski's banana boats etc, also beach seller's not allowed on beach,Rest./bar on one end of beach beach chairs $5 to $10 depends how good at hagglling.

P1010011a.jpg.d66d6792e034b10e71757ac7d090ce21.jpg

We were at this beach 2 weeks ago,beautiful and quiet,got a taxi from cruise ship dock about $5 (U.S)per person, told him what time to return to ship, and he was there waiting ,takes about 20 mins.Much quieter than G.Anse no jetski's banana boats etc, also beach seller's not allowed on beach,Rest./bar on one end of beach beach chairs $5 to $10 depends how good at hagglling.

what was the name of this beach you went too?? and u said there was a bar? can u get a bite to eat too?

what was the name of this beach you went too?? and u said there was a bar? can u get a bite to eat too?

Hi kitty

The beach I'm writing about is called Mourne Rouge, not 100% about spelling,all taxi's know it .and the photo shows how quiet, yes there is a place to eat from burger's to fish dishes, go and enjoy.:) it's the beach after Gran Anse

Hi kitty

The beach I'm writing about is called Mourne Rouge, not 100% about spelling,all taxi's know it .and the photo shows how quiet, yes there is a place to eat from burger's to fish dishes, go and enjoy.:) it's the beach after Gran Anse

great! i think i will try this instead of lagasse dont think i want to take the drive

• 3 weeks later...

Well - we're back from Grenada and Morne Rouge beach. It was a beautiful beach and wasn't crowded. We hired a taxi to take us there and paid the price but no tip and told him we would give him a nice tip once he picked us up at the appointed time for the return trip. He was there right when we wanted and it was no problem. Unfortunately it was overcast and rained while we were at the beach. It did not ruin our day and the sun came out about 45 minutes after we reached the beach. We rented chairs for $5 each and there was a beach bar with reasonable prices (don't be in a hurry - it took a loooooooooong time to mix a drink). Don't have anything to compare it to as this was our first trip to Grenada but we had a nice time at a quiet beach with beautiful clear, warm, calm water. The Rhum Runner excursion arrived while we were there. That was fine as they brought music with them and lots of drunks. They pretty much stayed to one part of the beach. Two or three vendors bothered us several times each but we waved them away. Beach is not large, but adequqate. We'd probably try another beach next time. No complaints but not spectacular. Lots of construction going on around the beach and this took away from our relaxation some.

H sailor gal

Glad to hear you enjoyed M.R beach, we were lucky hot day and no building work going on. I meant to warn you about speed in cafe but forgot,sorry, it's was a bit like watching paint dry. I must say that this year in caribbean we had a lot more rain/showers than other years.

If you found any great beaches on other Islands please post them up

• 3 weeks later...

My guess would be around 1/2 mile from the ends of the beaches closest to each other. But, it is uphill going one way so it probably takes around 15 - 20 minutes each way. It's not that strenuous if you are in decent shape and the views are terrific.

Archived