Caribbean Princess - Verizon Cell Service-US

Sailor Gal

We have encountered an emergency situation where we are unsure about whether or not to cancel our trip. Our Dad is having surgery our first day at sea and we are very uneasy about being gone and being out of touch. If we decide to go we wanted to make sure we arrange for Verizon cell service (international calling) before we travel. Has anyone sailed on the Caribbean Princess and used Verizon cell phones to call the US while sailing in the Southern Caribbean (San Jan, Sea, Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominca, St. Thomas)? Princess rep said CB was hooked up with Satellite capability Jan 09. We will contact Verizon to see how to enable international calling on our phones. Can anyone help me out with answers to my questions or helpful info? Appreciate it!

We're leaving this Friday and doing a lot of the same ports you're doing and we also have Verizon.

This past fall we did another cruise and called Verizon and they set us up with something that we're able to call from Mexican Riviera and Carribean. I called Verizon yesterday to make sure that we were good to go and they said no problem. We don't pay anything extra like a monthly fee but we'll pay a roaming fee of $1.99 per minute. If I remember correctly they did something on their end and then I dialed a number and it said it was activated. Sorry can't remember all the details but it was very easy and they were very helpful.

Good luck.

Hi there,

We did the Southern caribbean cruise on Feb. 8th, and we also have Verizon. We had service in San Juan, St. Thomas, Bonaire and Aruba. We did not have service in Dominica, Grenada, or at sea. We had to be close to a port to receive service. And Verizon phones can only receive service in areas that have CDMA technology. You can check out this link to see which countries/islands have CDMA compatibility.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

Good luck!

And Verizon phones can only receive service in areas that have CDMA technology.Good luck!

That is not necessarily true depending on the Verizon device you own. There are Verizon devices that are GSM capable as well. For example, if you have a Blackberry 8830 World Phone or the Blackberry Storm, they will work on either CDMA or GSM systems. If you have an 8830 you have to purchase a SIM card separately from Verizon. The Storm comes with it built-in when you purchase the unit. The Samsung Saga and Renown units are also CDMA and Quad Band GSM.

The CB is not listed on the Verizon web site as being set up for international roaming. I was on the Crown in December, which IS listed, and did have cell service when we were out to sea and out of range land-based cell sites. You might want to double-check with Verizon before you decide.

As another poster indicated, you always have the alternative of someone calling you ship-to-shore. The dialing instructions appear here under "Reaching You at Sea":

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp

Its expensive at $8.95 per minute, but could be used in case of emergency. You can dial out directly from your cabin as well.

The CB now has the MCP service which Verizon has a roaming agreement with. There are pico cell sites installed throughout the ship so coverage should be pretty good...... ONE POINT TO REMEMBER, the service is only turned on when you are in International Waters, which would be at least 12 miles from any land. When you are close to land or in port, you have to use the local CDMA service. I do know that Puerto Rico and St Thomas are not a problem, they are in the US already. Other countries it may work, only if there is a provider that has CDMA in it. I am not sure if Verizon has a country list available but I know Sprint does and they tell you what phone you need and how mluch it will cost.

Alan

Archived