Corfu what to do?

I can't figure out what to do in corfu- we are there from 8-6 but I am clueless as to what to see. Or is there just a beach to go to? Yes I am ignorant in case you are wondering lol

I have not yet visited Corfu, but I have arranged a tour with Corfu Private Tours for June 1. Here is a copy of what they have planned for the day:

We will meet you at the port of Corfu and drive away from the city and into the fertile area of orange and lemon groves until you reach the Achilleion Palace. You enjoy the walk around the villa which was built 100 years ago. The villa contains mementos of its former owners, the Empress Elisabeth of Austria and Kaiser Wilhelm II. The gardens are adorned with statues and the views over the densely wooded countryside are magnificent.

Leaving Corfu town you travel along the scenic West Coast to the hill top village of Lakones or Bella Vista as it is known. This impressive location offers the most spectacular views over the famous Bay of Paleokastritsa, its emerald seas and unusual rock formations. In the distance the old Monastery founded in 1225 sits serenely over this popular bay resort.

Next you drive to inland to the inspiring scenic village of Makrades, the Troumbetta Pass and the village of Scripero leading through the fertile area known as the Ropa Valley. Your next stop is at a distillery which produces an island favorite, Koum Kouat Liqueur. There will be time for tasting this specialty along with fruit glace.

After enjoying this refreshing stop you start the trip back to Corfu town. Along the way a short stop is made at the area known as Kanoni, so called due the old Canons, still in place, which used to protect the entrance to the harbor . This vantage point offers wonderful views of the bay with Mouse Island and the little chapel clearly visible. Later this afternoon your return to the pier.

I hope this gives you some ideas. I'm really looking forward to this private tour.

We are also in Corfu for that amount of time, and here is what we are planning to do.

1. See the beach at Paleokatrista (hope I spelled that correctly). Evidently, the place is stunning. From the map, it appears to be just about west of where we dock - on the opposite side of the island - necessitating a cross-island drive. I have investigated taxi service there (the Corfu tax website says 34 euros, one way) as well as the local KTEL bus. Those on Trip Advisor say the buses run regularly to Paleo., as it is quite the tourist haven, but I have not found out prices, and trying to locate a KTEL schedule has proven elusive for me . The trip takes 30 minutes, according to the Corfu sites. I have read posts of others who have rented a car and recommend a place called Sunrise. I read about the hairpin turns and crazy drivers, so I am not currently leaning toward a car.

2. Come back to the port, via taxi or bus. Grab a quick lunch on the ship??

3. Walk the 20 minutes into Old Corfu Town, which many have described as delightful with its winding alley-like streets (think Venice without the canals). Wander the streets. Climb to one or both fortresses. Enjoy the scenery and ambiance.

I think my post is sounding more knowledgeable than I intend :-), and all I have posted here has come from a lot of time spent on these boards, Trip Advisor, and Virtual Tourist. "Research" is my middle name, and I am on overload, the more I read!

Have a great trip!!

Archived