San Diego-What to Do???

safein

My husband and I are sailing from Honolulu to Ensenada in April 2005. We booked jetBlue back to JFK on the late night flight. We'll be taking a post cruise tour however, what can we do (with our luggage to boot!) for 5 hours? Any suggestions?

Anita

I don't believe checking luggage 5 hours in advance is an option. The airlines will generall allow luggage to be checked at the most only 3 hours in advance.

If you are going on a tour, can't you take the luggage with you? If it is a cruiseline tour, they should handle the luggage. But StephenJohnson has the best suggestion. Rent a car for a few hours. You could also get a day room at a hotel, but the car is easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Without having a place to store your luggage, I'd agree that a rental car would probably be a good idea. Book ahead with Avis or Hertz (both of which are less than a mile or so away from the pier). We were there a couple of weeks ago and got a day car from Avis for about $30 and drove over to Seaport Village which is very close and easy to get to and find. It's a really nice little specialty shopping area on the harbor that also has some really nice restraunts and it's very close to the pier and rental car lots, all on or just off of Harbor Drive. Just around the corner from Seaport Village is the USS Midway which is a retired aircraft carrier now turned into a public museum. My wife and I did a self guided audio tour of the Midway for $13 apiece and it was a lot of fun. You can explore the hanger, flight deck, and the ship's island. I really recommend it and we plan on revisiting the ship again when we return in Feb. The Sky Boss on board informed us that, by then, even more of the ship should be available for exploring. There is also a flight simulator on board that was really cool...it seats about 12, so you and your husband could do it together. If you decide to do the Midway, give yourself about an hour and a half to two hours for it. Seaport Village could then easily burn off the rest of your free time. Here is a link to the Seaport Village web site: http://www.spvillage.com/ and the Midway's web site is here: http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=coIMKTMCF&b=81432

Have fun. San Diego is beautiful and even if you decided just to find a spot at the pier and take in the view from there, you'll have a nice time.

Archived