Things to do in Tunis, Tunisia?

DisneyCruiser83

My husband and I are traveling to Tunisia and I am looking for input as to what to see in the area. I am thinking Carthage, the Bardo Museum and maybe shopping at the bazaar. Does anyone have any input on these places or other suggestions? Can anyone recommend any guides or private tour companies in the area? Thanks in advance!

Yes, those would be the main things to see in Tunis. I can't help with a guide but when you dock there will be loads of taxis available offering tours to all the places you mention. Not sure about prices but I expect it would be far cheaper than a tour, but make sure the driver speaks English (unless you speak French).

My wife is from Tunisia and I have also visited on many occasions. While virtually unknown to Americans, Tunisia is a vacation mainstay for Europeans. Tourist infrastructure is very well-developed and the locals are very accustomed to seeing and interacting with westerners. Anyone under the age of twenty can converse at least to a limited degree in English and all shopkeepers can conduct transactions and product discussions in English. You have hit upon the most obvious attractions in the Tunis metro area. If you are only there for a day, then the souks (bazaar) Bardo museum, and Carthage are probably too much. Maybe just two of the three. If you have seen Roman ruins elsewhere, then Carthage is unimpressive, but nearby is the tourist landmark of Sidi Bou Said, a ultra-quaint hilltop seaside village with its jasmine-scented cafes overlooking the bay. Quite the scene for tourists and locals alike. Have a great time, Tunis is a wonderful, and for the most part very safe and friendly, introduction to the Arab world.

Todd & Ibty in Minneapolis

Do not miss Sidi Bou Said and skip Carthage ! If you decide to go to Sidi Bou Said try the Café des Nattes where you could enjoy mint tea served with dates,pastries or nuts ! then walk to the end of the Cape and have a view of the harbor and the bay !!!

Traveling by taxi is probably the fastest and cheapest way to do it ! Agree for a price before the run ! There are taxis everywhere in Sidi bou Said and Tunis !

Not sure if anyone will still be looking at this blog but does anyone know how far or how much a taxi would charge to Sudi bou Said from Tunis? Is there enough time to do the museum, bazaar with cruise tour and still get to Sudi bou Said. We'll have about 7 hours. Also, if you get a taxi from port to Sudi bou Said, is it hard to take a train back to the museum and bazaar. I've looked for tour operators in this area but I'm having a hard time finding one. One sent a private reply to me on tripadvisor but I'm a little nervous about using one without a recommendation. thanks....

Buzz13, I've read that the taxis to Sidi bou Said can be predatory. I would take the TGM train from port to Sidi and back-- a lot cheaper, and no arguments about the fare.

Then, if you have time, you can take the metro or a taxi (agree on the rate before you get in!) to the museum and/or bazaar.

Not sure if anyone will still be looking at this blog but does anyone know how far or how much a taxi would charge to Sudi bou Said from Tunis? Is there enough time to do the museum, bazaar with cruise tour and still get to Sudi bou Said. We'll have about 7 hours. Also, if you get a taxi from port to Sudi bou Said, is it hard to take a train back to the museum and bazaar. I've looked for tour operators in this area but I'm having a hard time finding one. One sent a private reply to me on tripadvisor but I'm a little nervous about using one without a recommendation. thanks....

I wouldn't want to be quoted on the cost of a taxi from Sidi Bou back into Tunis, but all of the taxis are metered and well-used by the locals who make a tenth of what Westerns do. The rates are definitely not predatory. If you really want to hit all three, then I would certainly go with the taxi. The TGM is nice and cheap but you could waste a lot of time compared to a taxi. Tunis is a large, cosmopolitan, and safe city that welcomes wandering tourists. The few tour groups that do end up being paraded through the souks stand out. I would have no hesitation about diving into a self-guided tour of the old city, Sidi Bou Said, or the Bardo Museum.

Thanks for your responses. Will I have time to do all three? Is any one more important? Can you really understand about things in the museum without a guide? We're not huge museum people. We've done a lot of them. I do know that when we did the one in Athens, things probably didn't stick as well had we had a guide. I understand though, that this is one we should see. Just wasn't sure how long it would take so wasn't sure if we had time to do all three in a six hour window, particularly without a guide. It's the only reason I'd love to find a guide... thanks again..

Thanks for your responses. Will I have time to do all three? Is any one more important? Can you really understand about things in the museum without a guide? We're not huge museum people. We've done a lot of them. I do know that when we did the one in Athens, things probably didn't stick as well had we had a guide. I understand though, that this is one we should see. Just wasn't sure how long it would take so wasn't sure if we had time to do all three in a six hour window, particularly without a guide. It's the only reason I'd love to find a guide... thanks again..

My personal Opinion is that the Bardo is the weakest of the three. If you are a nut for Roman Artifacts, and mosaics in particular, then it should not be missed, but there are too many other places in the World that have comparable collections. It would be a shame to pinch your time in the truly unique sights of Sidi Bou Said and the Souks in the old city in order to add Bardo. If you were there for a week, it would be a different story.

• 2 weeks later...

For an alternate opinion.... The Bardo was a highlight of our tour of Tunis. The mosaics are like having color photos of Roman life, especially since not a lot of a lot of Roman paintings have survived. Also has a very nice shop with inexpensive and unique souvenirs. Be aware, however, that it is a three story building without elevators. Sidi Bou Said, on the other hand, although charming in appearance (white houses with bright blue doors and window accents) reminded us of Tijuana, with merchants standing at the doors of their shops trying to drag you in to shop, all of this on a rather steep uphill street. When you get the plaza at the top, the shops peter out and you can explore further, but if we go back, we'll do the Bardo before SBS again.

FYI, on a ship's tour, we did the Souk, Bardo, lunch at a catering hall, Carthage and SBS in one day, so it probably could be done by cab. If we get back, I'd like to spend more time in the Souk and just wandering around downtown Tunis (incidentally, the Blue Guide to Tunisia has what looks like an interesting walking tour of the souk, which is immense).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We were in Tunis last week. We intended to check out the train to get around, but instead we ended up hiring a taxi. I walked away from a couple of drivers after discussing prices, but one approached us on the way to the train and we agreed on a price. (Ha ha - you want to know the price, don't you? I'm kind of embarrassed because I'm sure we overpaid, but I'm also sure it put us at ease and made for a worry-free day.)

Hedi, our yellow-taxi driver who spoke English, took us to Sidi Bou Said from the port and waited while we wandered. (He would have stopped in Carthage, on the way, but we opted not to.) He first took us to the beach area and showed us where many vacationers stay and rent houses for holiday, and then we went up the hill to the village. Be sure and visit the typical Tunisian house while there (on the left on the first street). Admission is very reasonable (Euros accepted) and it's beautiful to see.

He then took us to a government-run store where we could buy souvenirs without hassle. Everything had a fixed price, which was very nice. We could have bargained in the souks for a better deal, but this way I got a few things that I liked without the stress. (Check out their website, www.socopa.com.tn. The English version is under construction, but you can view under the French and Arab versions.)

From there we went to the Bardo Museum. While most places will accept Euros, the Bardo only accepts Tunisian currency. Hedi loaned us Tunisian money from his own pocket. Later at the Medina we stopped at an ATM to get a Tunisian bill to repay him.

We left our purchases and video camera with Hedi while we took a look around the Bardo, and then we were off to the Medina.

We asked Hedi for a recommendation for lunch and he took us to an excellent restaurant, Dar El Jeld. (www.dareljeld.tourism.tn) (If you look under the Cruise Critic Tunis port review you'll see this restaurant listed.) It was excellent: very elegant, very reasonably priced (prices on back page of menu), and interesting enough that I would have happily skipped the Bardo Museum in favor of eating here, since the interior had many interesting features. It's located at the beginning of the souks where the taxi stands are, just off to the left a couple of steps down an alley. It has a big yellow door. Just knock and they'll open it for you.

I also suggest that you visit the restaurant's website even it you're not going to eat there, as it's very interesting. They call it an authentic traditional home, and indeed when we walked into the restaurant I wondered at first if it was someone's house.

From there we walked around the souks, not feeling very comfortable with entering the shops and the thought of bargaining, though I'm kind of mad at myself now for not giving it a try. Another woman on our cruise bought a couple of tagines. They wanted 60 Euros for one, and she ended up with 2 for 20 Euros. The souk area is huge - lots to see!

Hedi took us back to the port when we were finished. He was great. He pointed out different places as we drove and explained changes to the area that he's seen over the years. We learned that he has 4 kids and he sends them to private school so they'll learn more languages than they would in public school. He looked like Morgan Freeman, the actor, but he didn't know who he was. It was nice to find out who he was as a person. For me, having to haggle with a person puts them in a bad light because I'm feeling like they want to rip me off, but it's just business after all. (Oh, and if a band with camels meets the ship at the dock, agree on a price BEFORE choosing to have your picture taken with them or going for a ride. It's hard to haggle after the fact, and they're not there simply because they love you.)

(Ok, finally I'll tell you what we paid. We paid Hedi 150 euros for wherever we wanted to go for the day. My husband tipped him as he paid him, and then I tipped him again. We were very happy with his services.)

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Tunis last week. We intended to check out the train to get around, but instead we ended up hiring a taxi. I walked away from a couple of drivers after discussing prices, but one approached us on the way to the train and we agreed on a price. (Ha ha - you want to know the price, don't you? I'm kind of embarrassed because I'm sure we overpaid, but I'm also sure it put us at ease and made for a worry-free day.)

Hedi, our yellow-taxi driver who spoke English, took us to Sidi Bou Said from the port and waited while we wandered. (He would have stopped in Carthage, on the way, but we opted not to.) He first took us to the beach area and showed us where many vacationers stay and rent houses for holiday, and then we went up the hill to the village. Be sure and visit the typical Tunisian house while there (on the left on the first street). Admission is very reasonable (Euros accepted) and it's beautiful to see.

He then took us to a government-run store where we could buy souvenirs without hassle. Everything had a fixed price, which was very nice. We could have bargained in the souks for a better deal, but this way I got a few things that I liked without the stress. (Check out their website, www.socopa.com.tn. The English version is under construction, but you can view under the French and Arab versions.)

From there we went to the Bardo Museum. While most places will accept Euros, the Bardo only accepts Tunisian currency. Hedi loaned us Tunisian money from his own pocket. Later at the Medina we stopped at an ATM to get a Tunisian bill to repay him.

We left our purchases and video camera with Hedi while we took a look around the Bardo, and then we were off to the Medina.

We asked Hedi for a recommendation for lunch and he took us to an excellent restaurant, Dar El Jeld. (www.dareljeld.tourism.tn) (If you look under the Cruise Critic Tunis port review you'll see this restaurant listed.) It was excellent: very elegant, very reasonably priced (prices on back page of menu), and interesting enough that I would have happily skipped the Bardo Museum in favor of eating here, since the interior had many interesting features. It's located at the beginning of the souks where the taxi stands are, just off to the left a couple of steps down an alley. It has a big yellow door. Just knock and they'll open it for you.

I also suggest that you visit the restaurant's website even it you're not going to eat there, as it's very interesting. They call it an authentic traditional home, and indeed when we walked into the restaurant I wondered at first if it was someone's house.

From there we walked around the souks, not feeling very comfortable with entering the shops and the thought of bargaining, though I'm kind of mad at myself now for not giving it a try. Another woman on our cruise bought a couple of tagines. They wanted 60 Euros for one, and she ended up with 2 for 20 Euros. The souk area is huge - lots to see!

Hedi took us back to the port when we were finished. He was great. He pointed out different places as we drove and explained changes to the area that he's seen over the years. We learned that he has 4 kids and he sends them to private school so they'll learn more languages than they would in public school. He looked like Morgan Freeman, the actor, but he didn't know who he was. It was nice to find out who he was as a person. For me, having to haggle with a person puts them in a bad light because I'm feeling like they want to rip me off, but it's just business after all. (Oh, and if a band with camels meets the ship at the dock, agree on a price BEFORE choosing to have your picture taken with them or going for a ride. It's hard to haggle after the fact, and they're not there simply because they love you.)

(Ok, finally I'll tell you what we paid. We paid Hedi 150 euros for wherever we wanted to go for the day. My husband tipped him as he paid him, and then I tipped him again. We were very happy with his services.)

do you know if it is possible to locate and contact Hedi to try to reserve him

do you know if it is possible to locate and contact Hedi to try to reserve him

I do have his phone number if you'd like. He doesn't have an email address. How can I get in touch with you? Just remember that he's a taxi driver and not a tour operator, so we're talking about basic transportation in an old cab, but I also have to say that I felt comfortable with him.

Charlie01:

My wife and I will on Oceania's Regetta in late October-early Novemeber and Tunis is one of our ports of call. Would you please provide us with Heid's contact information. You can send it to: subadiver10 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks.

Bruce

I do have his phone number if you'd like. He doesn't have an email address. How can I get in touch with you? Just remember that he's a taxi driver and not a tour operator, so we're talking about basic transportation in an old cab, but I also have to say that I felt comfortable with him.

Can you post it on here? Then do we wait till we get there to call him

Archived