Stockholm

jig

There are several places where cruise ships can dock in Stockholm. The main ports are Stadsgården, close to the city centre, and Frihamnen and Värtahamnen, a little further away.

But ships can also dock at Skeppsbron in Gamla Stan (the Old Town), but I have only seen small cruise ships like Seabourn dock there. Occasionally there may also be a cruise ship at anchor off Stadsgården, so that the passengers have to tender. And occasionally cruise ships dock at Nynäshamn, a small city south of Stockholm. It takes an hour by bus or train to get to Stockholm. This happened to Princess once last summer.

The same ship does not always dock in the same place. Here is a link to Ports of Stockholm, where you can see where your ship is scheduled to dock. But be aware that changes can happen, even at last minute. http://www.stoports.com/

To see where the main ports are in relation to the places most cruise passengers want to see I have marked them on a map. Here is a link: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.335514,18.089354&spn=0.037909,0.078793&t=h&z=13

I was on NCL when we went to Stockholm and we all walked to Gamla Stan. It was about a twenty minute walk cuz I be saaaalooooow. I'm crippled and walk with a cane. Ten minutes if ya hump it. Fifteen if you walk real steady and twenty minutes if you to are slow.

Da Bear

I am planning to fly from Stockholm to Paris the day my ship arrives.

It looks like I have 2 choices.

One is to fly from Skavsta Airport to Beauvais Airport on Ryan Air.

The other is to fly from ARN to CDG on SAS.

The benefit of the Ryan Air option is that it leaves 2 hours earlier than the SAS flight & is $45 per ticket cheaper.

I don't know how to compare the challenge of getting to Skavsta Airport vs ARN.

Any advice?

I am planning to fly from Stockholm to Paris the day my ship arrives. It looks like I have 2 choices. One is to fly from Skavsta Airport to Beauvais Airport on Ryan Air. The other is to fly from ARN to CDG on SAS. The benefit of the Ryan Air option is that it leaves 2 hours earlier than the SAS flight & is $45 per ticket cheaper. I don't know how to compare the challenge of getting to Skavsta Airport vs ARN. Any advice?

Stockholm Skavsta Airport is situated 100 km (62.5 miles) south of Stockholm, near the main E4-highway. By bus/coach from Stockholm, it takes 90 minutes to get there. It serves low-cost airlines and cargo operators, is Stockholm's second largest airport and is the third largest in Sweden, with 2.0 million passengers a year.

By contrast, Arlanda Airport (ARN), is about 42 km north of Stockholm, is the largest airport in Sweden and is the third largest airport in the Nordic countries, handling 18.1 million passengers in 2008. We flew out of ARN on British Airway on an early morning flight to Heathrow on August 5. Everything went smooth on our flight and in dealing with this airport.

Then, in Paris, you have a much smaller Beauvais airport that is at a bigger distance with less convenience from the French capital than with DeGaulle. It is a much bigger airport at DeGaulle, but then there are more and better options for getting into Paris quicker from this major airport.

Given the extra charges with Ryan Air and the major logistical distances, the question centers around how much your time is worth. You can save a little, but at what price?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There are several places where cruise ships can dock in Stockholm. The main ports are Stadsgården, close to the city centre, and Frihamnen and Värtahamnen, a little further away. Here is a link to Ports of Stockholm, where you can see where your ship is scheduled to dock. But be aware that changes can happen, even at last minute. http://www.stoports.com/ To see where the main ports are in relation to the places most cruise passengers want to see I have marked them on a map. Here is a link: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.335514,18.089354&spn=0.037909,0.078793&t=h&z=13

In early August 2008, we docked at Frihamnen. It appears that this port area has been improved recently and will be more and more the place for most of the medium and larger ships to dock going into Stockholm. It kind of in a "port-type" area, but it wasn't too bad. Our ship had a shuttle bus to the Opera House, which was nice and convenient for us. It would be a long walk from there to the main part of town, but it might be possible as a one-way gig. We finished in Stockholm and when we departed, there were plenty of cabs there and everything ran smoothly. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I am planning to fly from Stockholm to Paris the day my ship arrives.

It looks like I have 2 choices.

One is to fly from Skavsta Airport to Beauvais Airport on Ryan Air.

The other is to fly from ARN to CDG on SAS.

The benefit of the Ryan Air option is that it leaves 2 hours earlier than the SAS flight & is $45 per ticket cheaper.

I don't know how to compare the challenge of getting to Skavsta Airport vs ARN.

Any advice?

Unless you have no or very light luggage be careful of Ryan Air. The money you save on ticket can be lost multiplied many times over with luggage cost. Last summer I took Ryan Air from Dublin to London with my daughter. We had 3 checked bags for the 2 of us and each a carryon. We were charged an extra $650 at the airport for excess weight. This was more than 3X the cost of the flight.

Unless you have no or very light luggage be careful of Ryan Air. The money you save on ticket can be lost multiplied many times over with luggage cost.

Unfortunately, I learned that lesson the hard way. I packed several bottles of wine in Sicily for my trip to England on Ryan Air to avoid the high price of wine in the U.K. Turned out to be the most expensive wine I ever drank.

I packed several bottles of wine in Sicily for my trip to England on Ryan Air to avoid the high price of wine in the U.K. Turned out to be the most expensive wine I ever drank.

Don't drink that wine, either. In February, Ryanair's CEO Michael O'Leary said the company was thinking of charging passengers for using their aircraft's WC.

The company later backtracked but they are still planning to abolish all airport check-ins and make passengers do it for themselves on the Internet.

Sounds like a terrible end to a cruise.

Archived