Question about carseats and van/SUV from Sourdough in Skagway - sdfamily?

riggins

I saw some posts from sdfamily that touched on this subject, but others may have info too.

We'll be in Skagway for a day this summer with our kids and nephew who are 6, 7 and 9. We're going to rent a car and drive out to Emerald Lake in the Yukon. Since we're a group of 7, it looks like were going to have to use Sourdough to get a van or SUV so we can all ride together. I have a couple questions.

Has anyone rented a Durango, Astro van, or Voyager mini-van from Sourdough? If so, can you tell me about the condition?

Also, I'm going to need 2 booster seats for my 6 and 7 year olds. Has anyone rented/borrowed a booster from Sourdough? I was also thinking I might be able to stop in to WalMart and grab a couple of $20 backless boosters. I checked the booster seat laws for Alaska, BC, and Yukon. In Alaska and Yukon, kids over 4 are NOT required to be in a booster seat. However, British Columbia passed a law last summer requiring boosters which impacts my 6 and 7 year olds. Since this trip passes briefly through BC, I'm worried not only about safety, but potential legal issues as well. Anyone have advice?

Thanks

Leslie

When we used Sourdough in Sept 07 we got a car seat for our then 5 year old. It wasn't the best looking thing and the van was older (as a lot of the cars in Alaska are). The van drove okay - but there was nothing like hearing...if you break down just wave someone down and they'll bring you back. :eek: Don't go thinking you are going to get something new - think rent-a-wreck.

We also thought it was funny that there was a nice paper guide in the van to tell you what you are seeing, a small set of binoculars and a bible (I guess in case the car breaks down. LOL)

I have to say though - we had a great drive over the summit into Canada. There's not really any place to stop to eat other than Carcross, which had a small store that sold ice cream and snacks. You might want to bring some snacks off the boat for the kids.

The vegitation changes as you go into Canada, which is really cool! My girls were 5 and 8 when we went and they were a little bored in the car, but we stopped a lot and let them take pictures of whatever tickled their fancy. Car games might be a good idea if your kids get bored easy.

You will be stopped going into Canada (they basically waved us through). Coming back into the US they woke up our kids to ask them their names and who they were traveling with. You might want to make sure you have papers with you just incase.

I also recommend a side trip to Dykes (I think) if you have time. Have the guy from Sourdough or someone here tell you how to get there. It's a one lane road around some interesting mountain/shore areas, but there is a really nice park out there to walk around in. We saw lots of giant mushrooms and animals. As you turn out of town and head toward Dykes there is an elevated deck where you can see the port. It's a great place to get a picture of the ship in the background. :D

I hope you have a fabulous time. I think taking a car instead of the train will make the day more enjoyable for you all.

There's not really any place to stop to eat other than Carcross, which had a small store that sold ice cream and snacks. You might want to bring some snacks off the boat for the kids.

To clarify - as well as that store there are 4 restaurants in the Carcross area.

I also recommend a side trip to Dykes (I think) if you have time.

That's Dyea, the beautiful location of a town a century+ ago (now long gone).

Archived