Club HAL age limits

mommym

My family will be sailing on the Veendam in Alaska on June 7th. My sons will be 11 and 13 at that time. According to info I have seen, those ages would be in separate "groupings" in Club HAL. I'm wondering if anyone knows how strictly those age limits are enforced. I don't imagine there will be too many other children this early in the sailing season. I don't anticipate my kids taking part in many organized activities, they will probably just "hang out" more or less and would probably only do those things if they could be together. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Can't say for sure - but last year we went to Alaska on Zaandam one week earlier than you are going. The two younger groups were together because there were so few kids. The teens were separate from the younger two groups. Our son was 9 at the time and LOVED Club HAL. He would always ask after breakfast, lunch and dinner if is was open yet so he could go. We're going on the Ryndam about the same time you are this year, and Club HAL is one of the reasons we are doing HAL again.

Thanks Debbie and Chaz! The Ryndam is in Alaska this summer, right? I hear it gets in your blood-can't wait to go and know my boys will love it. Our only other cruise has been on Disney and of course their children's programming is top-notch. For some reason my kids tend to hang back a bit when it comes to the kids programming. I think the main part of it is they really enjoy spending time with their mom and dad and vice-versa :) but I don't know if they will feel differently in Alaska. I wonder if they will tire a little of being on deck on the at sea days-especially if it is cold and wet. That's why I would love for HAL to lighten up a little on the age limits so they can hang out together. I don't want to infringe on the other kids'experience but I honestly don't think having my youngest (11) there with the teens would-I may be wrong. He tends to fit right in with his older brother and his friends-all of those years of "playing up". Anyone else have any experiences to share?

Thanks Debbie and Chaz! The Ryndam is in Alaska this summer, right? I hear it gets in your blood-can't wait to go and know my boys will love it. Our only other cruise has been on Disney and of course their children's programming is top-notch. For some reason my kids tend to hang back a bit when it comes to the kids programming. I think the main part of it is they really enjoy spending time with their mom and dad and vice-versa :) but I don't know if they will feel differently in Alaska. I wonder if they will tire a little of being on deck on the at sea days-especially if it is cold and wet. That's why I would love for HAL to lighten up a little on the age limits so they can hang out together. I don't want to infringe on the other kids'experience but I honestly don't think having my youngest (11) there with the teens would-I may be wrong. He tends to fit right in with his older brother and his friends-all of those years of "playing up". Anyone else have any experiences to share?

We had those same ages last year on our spring break cruise and while my older son is very outgoing, the younger is much more of an introvert. They let the older hang in the kids club with the 11 year old but wouldn't let the 11 year old up to the teen club even with not very many kids on board. This year for Alaska it will be even worse because my younger is 12-almost 13 and is used to hanging out with older kids so he will HATE the kids club and feel it's too young for him. I'm hoping there will be other boys his age for him to hook up with.

HAL strictly enforces the age limits. The worst cruise I ever had was when my daughter was 12 yrs and 11 mos and had to be in the kids program, not the teens. She never went. However, the teens basically just meet in the teen room and then go and do their own thing. You can't really lie about this because they have the information from your passport.

My understanding is that younger kids can't move up to the older group, but older kids can move down to the younger.

This would accomplish what you are looking for---the two brothers would be together.

Archived