Passports

DAL

Do you have to show your passport when getting on and off the ship?

On the Western Caribbean sailing, I do not recall needing passport to board at the ports (except of course when you first get on). I suspect this is because they take a photo when you check in and this is linked to your crusie card. They would then scan your card as you boarded and your picture would come up on a computer monitor. I was impressed that they did seem to look at the photo fairly diligently when you boarded.

That said, we did need photo id to return at Key West - not because of the boat but because you cross a naval yard to reach the dock and you needed it at the base gate. Even with numerous announcements when we left the ship, one person on our tram "forgot" and there was a short delay as they worked it out.

Bottom line - they tell you what you need to get back on the ship. Pay attention to the announcements as you leave and if in doubt, ask before your leave.

Do you have to show your passport when getting on and off the ship?

It depends partly on where you are going. None of the Caribbean or Mexican ports that I've been to have ever asked to see a passport. All the ship will require is your ship's ID card. Often the local authorities need to see some identification to allow you to enter the pier area. In such a case, you can get by with your driver's license and ship's card. Of course, a passport will work as well.

In Europe or other parts of the world, it can be different. Every country sets their own rules.

I am one of those who believe in taking my passport ashore, even if it is not required. If I were to miss the ship for some reason, a passport is necessary to fly home, or even to the next port of call. The alternative is to spend far more time than you would like, talking to the US embassy or consulate, trying to arrange alternate travel documents.

Others will tell you that they never, ever take their passport ashore, for fear of losing it or it being stolen. There is some merit to that argument, too. It depends on which scenario you consider to be more likely and how risk averse you are.

I even take my passport ashore in US possessions, such as St. Thomas or San Juan, especially if the next port of call is not a US port. If the next port was, say, Nassau, a passport would make it much easier to catch up.

Paul

On our Amazon Float on the Prinsendam in Nov/Dec 08 HAL collected our passports and did not return them until we got to St. Thomas near the end of the cruise. That was because of the Brazil issues where they actually stamped out passports when entering and exiting Brazil. I think you could have gotten them at any time but would need to return them to the pursers office each day. On that cruise we were never asked for anything other than our ship card at any of the ports including all the ones in Brazil to get back to the pier and on the ship. On our recent Maasdam 14 day port intensive trip the only time we showed our passport was to get on the ship the first time and checkin. In San Juan they did require a photo ID (passport or drivers lincense) to get on the pier but that is the only place in 10 stops. The CD reminds everyone to take a photo ID when they give the port clearance call each day. If you are taking a private excursion and there is any chance that you may miss the ship it is probably a good idea to take your passport as "noblepa" mentioned.

Archived