Norwegian Crown

tuffy88

I heard the Norwegian Crown was purchased by the Fred Olson line and is now in the Carribean out of Ft Lauderdale, Florida. Is true true? And has anyone been on her since she went to the Olson line?

Charles

Norwegian Crown is now Fred. Olsen's Balmoral and underwent a "stretch" at the end of 2007/early 2008.

She is currently on an Around the World cruise and is due back in England in May where Dover will be her home port. ;) In January 2010 she embarks on another world cruise and again will be sailing from Dover in the summer. :)

I sailed on her last year and loved her and am booked to return on her for a mini cruise later this year. :D

Yes, we have been on her. Last summer out of Dover. We visited the North Cape and Norwegian Fjords and she was a lovely size to cruise this stretch on as, once we had sailed the North Sea, we were hardly out of sight of land.

The stretch has given greater passenger numbers and two smaller, and lovely, restaurants have been added to handle the numbers for the fixed time dining. Otherwise the ship handled the numbers well (although being on a non sunshine cruise the pools and sunloungers were not tested to capacity)

We found her a really friendly ship and big enough to not feel we were living in others pockets but small enough to strike up conversations with people more than once. The staff were wonderful - especially with the children - and made our experience as a first time cruisers.

Someone on board didn't realise her history and spent a few days thinking he recognised her from somewhere before asking and finding out that he had sailed on her many years ago.

She isn't sailing from Florida, although she did do at least one trip out there at the beginning, I think. I recall reading lots in 2008 of moans about the transfers but it's not her regular port - which is Dover.

We are going back on her this year -taking family this time.

Kez & Mrs TW,

Thanks for your reply. My wife & I cruised on the Norwegian Crown out of Ft Lauderdale, Florida in 1997 to the Western Carribean. Passenger load at that time was 900. Guess it would be quite a bit higher now. Have happy memories of her.

Charles

I sailed on her 12 times from 1989 on when she was Royal Cruise Lines Crown Odyssey. I was on the ship last March for the maiden voyage of the Balmoral. I've been on 22 cruises and the Crown/Balmoral is still my favorite ship. I don't cruise to go rock climbing, bowling or all that other junk.

Archived