Carnival Legend - Belize and Roatan excursion?

gam888

For Belize I can highly recommend Allen Dawson of http://www.experiencebelizetours.com. We've used him twice now...once last January, and once last week. The guy is great. He comes to get you at the pier with an air conditioned van, and takes you wherever you want to go. He'll help you design whatever kind of tour you'd like. He knows everything about Belize. Your kids might like to go cave tubing and then to see Altun Ha, or maybe to see the howler monkeys and then cave tubing, or some combination like that. Email him and ask. He's such fun to hang out with all day. He'll take you to a terrific Belizian restaurant, too! In Roatan we went to Gumbalimba park through a Carnival tour, because you can't go there without one. It was worth it! What a spectacular place. I will definately go back. The monkey area was priceless! We played with a 3-month old capuchin that was the cutest thing I've ever seen! Roatan is a physically gorgeous island. We loved our day there. After the tour dropped us off, I took a cab 5 minutes down the coast to the cameo factory and bought a beautiful little pendant...it's a really interesting place, and the only cameo factory in the western hemisphere.

Roatan has so much to offer besides the beach and Viktor's tour guides will customize the tour to do whatever you would like to do!

For 25.00 per person (we paid 100 for 4 even though only 3 of us toured, because our son decided not to disembark after the poverty in Belize) our guide, Anthony, took us to a local school so we could drop off suplies, then to one of the two orphanges on the island so we could do the same. We told him we didn't want to go to the typical tourist beaches so we toured west end a bit and went to half moon cove. We then went into town for a bit of shopping. We stay in touch with Anthony and would recommend him to anyone.

I can't offer much on Belize as we cave tubed. Our son, who was 15 at the time, was overcome with sadness at the poverty and begging in Belize. He wants to go back and use our next port time to deliver supplies like we did in Roatan.

{Note that you can NOT take off suitcases in these ports but supplies can be carried in bags if that is something you are interested in doing.}

We had a stop at Belize several years ago and did the Altun Ha/River boat tour. It was a long ride out to the site. Altun Ha was neat, you could climb one of the ruins for a view and a nice breeze. It's not as pretty as Tulum (Tulum is spectacular) but we enjoyed it. BRING INSECT REPELLENT! The river boat tour was very enjoyable.

Getting a bit discouraged hearing about Belize. Don't think we would do any zip line or cave tubing cos we are not very physical people... What exactly do you see in the Belize city tour? There is some kind of Manatee research station included with one of the Carnival snorkeling excursion. Has anyone been there? Is it interesting? Also what is at the "westend" of Roaton? Has anyone been in Roatan and Belize in August, does it rain a lot at that time?

DaDiva Mom,

We would like to take somethings to the Orphanage in Roatan or Belize. How did you find out about the and can you give me the name of the one you went to. We have been to some of the island and know how much simple things like crayons/colorbooks etc mean to the children. Appreciate any help you can give me. Dot

Getting a bit discouraged hearing about Belize. Don't think we would do any zip line or cave tubing cos we are not very physical people... What exactly do you see in the Belize city tour? There is some kind of Manatee research station included with one of the Carnival snorkeling excursion. Has anyone been there? Is it interesting? Also what is at the "westend" of Roaton? Has anyone been in Roatan and Belize in August, does it rain a lot at that time?

There are a few sites of interest in the city tour, but be prepared for some pretty nasty (poor) neighborhoods. This is not a feel-good kinda tour.

There are also some Mayan ruin tours offered. This may be your best bet for a not-too-physical excursion.

Worst case you can bum around the fenced-in area and do some shopping, then have a drink at the Wet Lizard.:cool:

I have been to both twice in August. No rain but very hot and humid (Duh)

Archived