Sotstice Blu Dining Should I Change To MDR?

kad

I can answer a couple of those due to my research. I have upgraded to AQ just recently.

You can eat breakfast and dinner in Blu - there is no lunch service. Since it is open dining in the MDR for breakfast and lunch I would assume that AQ guests can easily eat there for those meals.

I attached a diagram that I have of Blu that will give you an idea of the size. It only seats 130.

I know AQ gets unlimited access to the Persian Gardens and the Relaxation Room. For more info you can go to Schplinky's website http://web.mac.com/thecruiseguys/The_Cruise_Guys/Welcome.html

They saved everything including all the information left in their AQ cabin describing the amenities - wonderful photos, etc. I learned a lot about AQ from the information the Lee and Mike posted there. Just click on Solstice and then go through all the info.

Thanks for your response. The cruiseguys sure have a nice website! I just upgraded from a C2 to AQ today...at a $100pp it seemed like the right move to make. I was only concerned about dining at Blu...but from all that I read...it's not just all about eating "HEALTHY" food but eating "GOURMET" food. (I certainly didn't want to eat like a rabbit all week long!) :D

Thanks too for providing all of us on CC with an invaluable tool in picking out a cabin that fits our desires. I was happy to secure Cabin 1525 today! Hope all goes well with your cabin selection....you deserve it!

Take care...

Trudy

Thanks too for providing all of us on CC with an invaluable tool in picking out a cabin that fits our desires. I was happy to secure Cabin 1525 today! Hope all goes well with your cabin selection....you deserve it!

Take care...

Trudy

Thanks Trudy:) - yesterday I changed my cabin from 1531 which seemed to be in the "noisy" area to 1540 - (changed from port to starboard) I am more comfortable with this one as it is next door to the one that the "Cruise Guys" were in and is under the hair salon so there should be no noise from above at night and they didn't report any noise other than when delivering luggage on embarkation day. I would have taken theirs (1542) but I wanted the bed next to the balcony. I hope you are happy with yours too.

we loved the food & atmosphere in Blu. we had my in-laws with us who prefer to retire early at night so we ate in the early seating even though I prefer the late seating (more time for ports, deck, etc.).

Airtana, on the March 22nd sailing our main Maitre'D was Anitsa, she was fantastic. there was another one also named Alex, he was also very personable and accomodating.

we loved the food & atmosphere in Blu. we had my in-laws with us who prefer to retire early at night so we ate in the early seating even though I prefer the late seating (more time for ports, deck, etc.).

Airtana, on the March 22nd sailing our main Maitre'D was Anitsa, she was fantastic. there was another one also named Alex, he was also very personable and accomodating.

Did you have the same table each night with the same waiter while dining in Blu? Do you recall the early and late dining times? Thanks.

Trudy

We were in AQ in February and found that eating in Blu gave one the feeling of being on a small, intimate, luxury ship. Both food and service were excellent. Blu has two seatings, at the same time as MDR.

Interestingly, I checked out our table location when we boarded the ship, and as it was isolated at the back of the restaurant, behind the dividing structural wall, asked the maitre d to change it. He promised to do what he could, but did not seem hopeful. When we came to dinner the first night, he gave us a lovely central table, which we had for the duration of the cruise. The interesting point is that every night Blu was between 50% to 25% empty! So i am very confident they will be able to accomodate you in second seating. I suggest you speak to the MD as soon as you board.

I agree that you should be able to get into Blu when you want. We were on the Solstice in AQ class in February. It was a full ship but Blu was never more than half full. Just as a real simple example, when the MDR served roast beef, Blu served filet mignon.

The AQ Class experience was like a "ship within a ship" experience. If you can get AQ for a good price, go for it.

We were on the March 29 th sailing and were AC, we switched to the MDR after two nights in Blu. The service and the ambience were great bu the type of food was not to our liking.

1. Portions were small (rack of Lamb consisted of 2 small bones with lamb which amounted to 2 bites each.

2. alot of vegetable based meals ( I am not a vegetable eater so it was not for me on the other hand my DH loves veggies and he also felt there was not enough. (yes we could have asked for more)

We went to the Maitre'd in the MDR and expressed our concerns and were given a table on the upper level on the railing with two other couples, we could have had our choice of company or no company, Maitre'd was extremely helpful in satisfying our needs and completely understanding.

Other than this we thought AC was great with the other little perks we got.

Did you have the same table each night with the same waiter while dining in Blu? Do you recall the early and late dining times? Thanks.

Trudy

Hi Trudy,

We sat at the same table (assigned) every night with the same waiter, assistant and sommelier, though we did see some people move some nights to be by the window. Breakfast you are seated at a table in a section that is open, so random seating, random servers, arrive anytime within their hours.

Breakfast is from 7:30 to 9:00.

Dinner Early seating times are 6:00, Late seating is 8:30.

I loved the food in Blu, note that you won't find as much starch in your mains (ie potatoes, rice) as you would in the MDR.

Ordering another main (or appy) is not a problem by the way.

Hope you enjoy Blu as much as we did.

James

Hi Trudy,

We sat at the same table (assigned) every night with the same waiter, assistant and sommelier, though we did see some people move some nights to be by the window. Breakfast you are seated at a table in a section that is open, so random seating, random servers, arrive anytime within their hours.

Breakfast is from 7:30 to 9:00.

Dinner Early seating times are 6:00, Late seating is 8:30.

I loved the food in Blu, note that you won't find as much starch in your mains (ie potatoes, rice) as you would in the MDR.

Ordering another main (or appy) is not a problem by the way.

Hope you enjoy Blu as much as we did.

James

James...thanks for your response. I KNOW we will love it from all I've read. I try to resist the bread basket (cause if I start, I won't stop!) and I always limit my starches! Portions tend to be too big for me, so if they are smaller in BLU, I won't have any waste! I'd much rather eat less but better quality so the thought of a small filet mignon rather than a ton of roast beef makes me smile! :)

valandjerry...it's good to know they will accomodate those who are not so happy with the dining in Blu. My main reason for not wanting to book Aqua Class in the first place was being limited to Blu. The MDR looks so beautiful and we always enjoy meeting new tablemates. I'm glad they accomodated your desires.

Take care...

Trudy

Archived