?? for BZY1 or PVPAM - Jellyfish Season, etc...

seabreezer

Hi,

We'll be staying at Real del Mar in late February - do you think there will be jellyfish? Is there a season for them or do they always come in with the tide?

Just how cold is the water in late Feb.?

How long a drive is it to Downtown Puerto Vallarta from Real del Mar? How long to the Grand Velas Spa?

What are some good excursions for 8 and 10 year-olds?

BZY1, thanks for all the info on driving in PV - I'm now sufficiently scared to just "leave it to the Professionals".

Jelly fish come and go, usually with the tide and currents since they don't swim so well :)

Actually there is no specific season, although I have seen more jelly fish when there has been "red tide" (which isn't always red) which is an algea bloom and a buffet for jelly fish.

The water is cooler in Feb...but totally swimable. In the summer it is like bathwater, in the winter it is brisk, but much warmer than California and not as warm as the Caribbean.

Are you staying at the gated community Real Del Mar past Bucerias? If so, you can catch and ATM bus from the front into town, (last stop near the Sheraton).

You can also take the bus to the Nuevo Vallarta entrance and hail a cab to the Grand Velas from there...

A good excursion for the kids is to hang out for the day at Destiladeras beach (close to the Real del Mar)... also the Marigalante Day tour is pretty fun for kids and adults.

Of course, the best is to take them into town (via ATM bus) get off at the Sheraton and take a bus to the start of the Malecon. (Get off where the bus takes a left turn right after the park/church.

Sunday evenings are the fun night on the Malecon- cotton candy, balloons, clowns, music and more....

Depending on the size of you group, you may want to consider a private van tour where you can pick your destinations and itinerary- $40 an hour (up to 14 people) with a four hour minimum.... the more people, the lesser the price.

Tony, the guide can take you all over, from beaches to cultural places to around the downtown, to El Eden or where ever you want to go within a time frame he can get you to the places you want to see.

The other nice thing is if you are at the Real Del Mar I am thinking of (Sally's place?) you have an awesome beach for the kids!

Have fun!

Thanks so much for all the info. We are staying in the Real del Mar community in a house on the beach. There'll be 8 of us altogether and I'm not sure they want to ride the bus so we need to make some decisions about transportation. How often do the busses run anyway? We thought we could just cab it everywhere or use the private transportation that the concierge can provide. Do you know if there are local taxis large enough to carry all 8 of us or will we have to take 2 taxis. If we have to take 2 then I think the cost will be about the same as the private vans. You've already talked me out of renting cars!

Another question, I keep reading about the las Caletas excursion. Do you think it's a little too wild and boozy for kids? Do you know of any other reputable day cruises either private or semi=private (small groups)?

The Las Caletas isn't too boozy, in fact, no booze until after people have snorkeled, etc. and they have cool things for kids, like sea lions and parrots....

a nice mix for families.

I have info about private boat trips, so send me an email.

Most taxis are for up to four people, but there are some van taxis in Nuevo, also I have a private van driver, and can get info to you for him as well.

Buses run from early morning until later in the evening...so bus in, and cab back to save some cash, plus the ATM buses are plush compared to the city buses- not a bad ride and cheap!

Hi BZY1:

We are planning to be on a cruise to PV in August, 2005. With all family member on board, we will be a party of 11 (4 kids ranging from age 9 to 16); my dad is 86 years old, and he can't walk far. We are considering doing a 4 hours private van tour. Can you give me information and/or website to get in touch with Tony, the guide. We are thinking of the time frame of 9:30 a.m. pick up @ the cruise dock, and drop us back at the pier at 1:30 p.m. After dropping my parents back to the ship and eating lunch with them, my dad will probably take a rest; the kids would like to go Krystal Hotel and the beach area with their dads, say from 3-6 p.m., while I have shopping on the agenda with my mom and sister. Then everybody back to the ship, wash up and the entire family will meet for dinner.

DO you think that this is doable?

Eli

Hi Eli,

Yes, I think your agenda is very doable. There is some pretty decent shopping not too far away from the dock, but it depends on what you are looking for as well. The Plaza Caracol mall has a variety of shops with a bunch of different things. Also the Malecon offers tons of stores and shops.

The Krystal is maybe a 10 minute walk from the dock, so easy to get to a return from.

Feel free to click on my link below and send me an email- let me know what you are shopping for and I can send you in the right direction :)

Archived