Scuba diving in Cozumel

nkw5

I know Cozumel has fantastic diving, but if you're interested in a fairly inexpensive outing, try this:

Take a taxi to Chankanaab. It costs $10 for the cab so try to go with 2-3 other people. The park entry is $12/person. You can do a shore dive for $21 if you have your own gear. You can rent everything for $40.

There are 4 booths for the 4 dive shops on site. I recommend the first booth, Aquadventures. They can be reached at famzapata@prodigy.net.mx. Manuel was our DM, and he was great. He showed us lots of neat things plus did a great job taking pictures with my camera.

The reason I recommend Aquadventures is that they went beyond the call of duty. I accidently left my wetsuit hanging at their booth. I didn't want to pay $20 for the taxi ride. The guys found the couple I had gone diving with and who were from the same ship as I and sent the wetsuit back to the ship with them. I was so surprised to get it back! I would say that was superb service.

The best part of the dive was going thru the cavern. It was really dark at first and seemed rather scary. After your eyes adjusted, you could see thousands of fish swimming in schools. Then you saw the tarpoon, several 4-foot huge shadows that swam among the small fish. Near the exit, you could see the fish thru an oily-appearing film. It's where the warm water mixes with the cold water, and it makes you feel like your eyes aren't focusing right.

Viz was great, and we even saw "Gloria," the 5-foot barracuda.

This was definitely one of my all-time favorite dives.

Yes, they will take uncerted divers at Chankanaab (one of the divers I was with was uncerted, but not her first dive), probably almost anywhere in Cozumel except on deep drift dives.

Thank you! He will need to do a shore dive - not afriad of the water, afriad of getting sea sick on a small boat. Would Chankanaab be the best place? You mentioned almost anywhere in Cozumel it can be done, but would it be safe with any "vendor"?

Can't say if Chankanaab would be the "best" place. I've only done one shore dive in Coz, but the dive I did there was one I won't forget.

As for vendors, Aquadventures was great. I have no experience with others, but there are sites that rate Coz dive ops. Do a google.

Chankanaab Park offers some really good shore diving for beginners. We also have a dive shop located there too! The lagoon is a great place to start since the sea is generally always flat and calm, and there is very little current. There's also the famous underwater statues, plus it's a great place to spend the day. Our shop manager, Felipe, can make whatever arrangements you need.

Archived