Egypt Night Entertainment

fernoppi

What would you choose for night entertainment? Please also post why!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose for night entertainment? Please also post why!

• Nile River Dinner Cruise
    • Pyramid Sound and Light Show

There are two options given by Nile Blue for the overnight trip to Egypt. What would you choose and why? Also if you have done either, please share your thoughts and opinions! The cost of this Egypt trip is adding up fast!

(Optional) You will attend the English Version of the Sound and Light Show. The magnificent history and achievements of the ancient Egyptians come to life as the illuminated Pyramids and the impressive mysterious Sphinx dominate the surrounding darkness, check in into you hotel (25 us$) per person http://www.soundandlight.com.eg

(Optional) Nile River Dinner Cruise. These cruises are known to offer one of the most luxurious dinner cruises on the Nile with the best service. The food and the entertainment (belly dancers, twirling dervishes and singers) are known to be excellent. This is a dinner option for the tour and costs $45. Www.maximrestaurants.com

Looks like a lot of people prefer the Light Show. I read someplace on here that someone thought it was kind of cheesy. But also a Nile River Cruise doesn't sound that spectacular either because the views probably are not very cool.

What time of the year are you going?

I am going on the Brilliance of the Seas in November. I have been researching both with help from great people on these boards. My family is leaning towards the cruise. The light show is alittle outdated from what I have heard and is only in English at certain times. We figured that since we were already going to all of the pyramids and had pyramid-veiw rooms in the hotel we would like to cruise the Nile.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one...You're in EGYPT for Pete's sake!:D

Well we did both on our February excursion. I would not have wanted to miss either. There is something magical about sitting out in front of the Sphinx and the three pyramids on a beautiful starry night with light and lazers illuminating them. The show itself is a bit dated and perhaps over-dramatic, but I still would not have wanted to miss the experience. My husband and I made sure we sat right in the front row with no heads in front of us for a clear view.

I feel the same way about our chance to take a cruise on the Nile. Besides, the food on the Crystal Nile (boat we took) was quite good, no one got ill in our group (but we avoided veggie dishes), and the Egyptian band and dancers (belly dancer, whirling dervish and two male stick dancers) were all excellent quality and obviously well-trained and entertaining. The whirling dervish performer was particularly impressive. Absolutely amazing and something we had not experienced before.

What difference does it make where they're from.....They're still amazing!! I'd go for the dinner cruise because and it's strictly a personal preference...I just can't get into light shows. I've been to several and all of them leave me cold...for some reason I love the pyramids, temples, waterfalls, etc. in their natural light but having them lit up in different colors with laser animation just isn't my thing....dining on the Nile and seeing the city at night would be more to my liking although to be perfectly honest, I probably woudn't chose either activity!!!! Food in Egypt is very good by the way.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Do both, we did last Aug. with Blue Nile. Watching the Egypt patrons was the most interesting part of the dinner show, we were the only Americans on the boat. Our overnight tours in Egypt and Israel were the highlights of our cruise. We toured with people we met on the CC board which made the tours cheap.

Do both, we did last Aug. with Blue Nile. Watching the Egypt patrons was the most interesting part of the dinner show, we were the only Americans on the boat. Our overnight tours in Egypt and Israel were the highlights of our cruise. We toured with people we met on the CC board which made the tours cheap.

SteveS - did you feel like you had enough time to see everything and still do both the night entertainment?

If you are interested in Sufi dervish dancing, there are free performances on Wed and Sat nights at the Wikala al-Ghuri (a few blocks south of the Khan el-Khalili bazaar). The performances start at 8pm, but you should get there a bit earlier to get a good seat. Each show lasts about 1-1/2 hours, and also includes some traditional folkloric music for a warmup.

The highlight is the whirling ceremony (samaa). There is religious symbolic significance to the spinning and gestures, as well as the music. At several points the cloaks are raised to form "tops", and layers are removed during the dance. One fellow, who seemed 60-ish, spun for a remarkable 20 minutes non-stop! Multiple dancers would come on-stage, each with different coloured cloaks.

This was a brilliant photo opportunity, and a highlight of our Cairo experience.

Archived