Nassau shopping--not straw market

Happy@home

I don't want to deal with vendors in the straw market and I don't want to go to expensive high end shops. Will I find any stores that are in between those two options? If so where are they in relation to the port? Will I be able to find batik or tie dyed clothing anywhere since that is what one of my dd's has requested?

Thank you for any help

There are stores situated along the pier that sell all sorts of things...don't know if they have what you are looking for though... there are also shops over on Paradise Island where Atlantis is that sell different things as well..

Thanks, I'm glad to hear there are other types of shopping available. I told my dd that there are no guarantees that she will get clothes but it doesn't hurt to check. As long as I don't have to haggle over prices in the straw market I'll be happy.

Just off the 3/28 Gem, and while in Nassau we bought a couple of bottles of liquor, rum from the Barcardi store(near the ship terminal on Bay street, and a good bottle of scotch from another shop on Bay. Shop around as prices for the same item differ at each shop. The rum and scotch were really good buys. BTW, security will confiscate any alcohol bought onshore.

• 2 weeks later...
As long as I don't have to haggle over prices in the straw market I'll be happy.

Some of us view this as part of the entertainment :-)

Of course, the straw market has become something of a "junk shop" with cheap Chinese knockoffs as of late, but there are still bargains to be had there and I always spend some time there when in Nassau.

There are several "normal" gift shops around the waterfront I think you'll be happy with, between the docs and Bay street.

The straw market was fun - as long as you realize the entertainment value. Watching the women in the market try to undercut each other is a hoot and if it's something you want just sit back and let them go at it. On the other hand it is hot and very crowded and most vendors have the same junk, so there is no need to venture too far in. I did pick up a really nice knock off bag that I get alot of compliments on. Haggling for it was fun for me though.

A few T-shirt shops on the main street have OK pricing but again the same merchandise as all the others you don't want to go too far down the street toward the PI bridge it gets very seedy.

Haggling can be fun but I'm not in the mood to do it this trip. Actually I'm not in the mood to shop at all this trip but I told my kids I would look for a couple of things for them. Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know I'll be able to find a few shops without going too far.

Haggling can be fun but I'm not in the mood to do it this trip. Actually I'm not in the mood to shop at all this trip but I told my kids I would look for a couple of things for them. Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know I'll be able to find a few shops without going too far.

I don't want to deal with vendors in the straw market and I don't want to go to expensive high end shops. Will I find any stores that are in between those two options? If so where are they in relation to the port? Will I be able to find batik or tie dyed clothing anywhere since that is what one of my dd's has requested?

Thank you for any help

I like batik, too, and ran across this place awhile back. They have a shop on Paradise Island and there is a shop, Bahama Sol, downtown (not sure where Dowdeswell & Christie Sts. are) Someone may help you on the locations - here's their web-site:

http://www.androsia.com/Shops.html

I have several shirts and a pair of shoes that I bought in Nassau. There are some decent shopping places in you wonder around a little. I also pick up a bottle of perfume called "Paradise" that is sold there. It is made there I believe and it smells wonderful. It is only about 25 bucks for a large bottle.

Archived