Cape Liberty to Bermuda

pstscruising

I've sailed to Bermuda from NYC 7 times and almost all of the times I felt a little more motion the 2nd night out. It also depends on what time of year you go. My experience has been the seas are generally rougher late July, and August ( have not sailed in Sept). Again this is just going by my personal experience. Also the later into the summer more hurricaine activity. If you have never been to Bermuda, you are in for a real treat. Have a great cruise!

The Atlantic will always vary and is always subject to change. We have usually had pretty smooth sailing. Last May we had calm seas and swells around 12 feet on the way to Bermuda. On the way back, we hit a force 6 gale and had 22-24 foot seas. The Explorer handles the waves beautifully, so no worries. You will have a great cruise. If you are prone to motion sickness, I swear by Non-Drowsy Dramamine. No side effects and it is very effective!

Eric

Having sailed to Bermuda seven times from New York in July/August/September on various ships, and having spoken to numerous crew members, it seems to me that the North Atlantic is extremely fickle and the "seas" experience is a crap shoot. It is often as calm as a lake but even the big ships can rock-and-roll in severe seas. The swells (long/high/slow waves) are the killers even if you have a strong stomach.

That said, even during Hurricane Season your odds are usually good that the seas will be relatively sedate. Note that the cruise line will not put you (or their ship) in any danger and will adjust the itinerary as necessary. My wife (especially prone to seasickness) would not skip ANY cruise to Bermuda even if you scheduled a hurricane personally for her displeasure.

Remember, there is a graduated hierarchy of methods/drugs to treat seasickness depending on the need. Seek and find.

Bermuda is worth it!

John

Thanks, John. Sounds like your wife really loves Bermuda. I haven't been in over 20 yrs. I'm seriously thinking about this cruise. I know the ship would not put us in danger. I was just concerned merely for my stomach's sake!

If you are prone to motion sickness, I swear by Non-Drowsy Dramamine. No side effects and it is very effective!

Eric

We have sailed out of NY/NJ/Philly many times in the summer and fall on different ships, and not had a problem (My DH is very prone to motion sickness). We always bring Bonie with us, "just in case"... Why do you like Non-Drowsy Dramamine better than Bonie? Just curious, since we are sailing again in early October. :)

Our first cruise to Bermuda was in August 2004 and the ocean was as smooth as glass both ways. HOWEVER ---

I went back to a review I wrote on CC in 2005 about our cruise from NY to Bermuda - it was in May - the following is what I wrote:

Well, it was still rocking and rolling all through Sunday night. We were getting ready for bed. I was coming out of the bathroom. DH was standing at the desk. Just as he looked up into the mirror, a wave hit and he saw me FLY (feet completely off the floor) across the room and land on the bed. I had absolutely no control over where I would land – Thank heaven the bed was there!!! He still laughs when he pictures it.

Last May it was rough/horrible...I was on the Dawn and we got hit by a "noreaster" out in sea...but my parents cruised outside of a Hurricane about 5 years ago on a Royal Caribbean ship, Empress of the Sea's and barely felt a thing, and that was a small ship. The "Atlantic straights" are normally a rough area from what I've read, but the ocean can be like glass. It's a gamble, I will give you a tip I got when I was sick last cruise, if your sick - just drink until you can't tell if your throwing up from being sick or drunk lol (just kidding, but someone did tell me that lol)

Did a B2B last year, one week was smooth, the next week was not. Like someone else said, the North Atlantic can be fickel. Not only can it change from week to week, it can change from day to day. One thing I will say is, anytime it was rough it wasn't for the whole time and always calmed down.:)

We always cruise there in Oct., which most will point out is hurricane season.:p We've only sailed on small ships and even when it was less than smooth, the ships handled the seas very well.

Perhaps my favorite ship was the (old) Pacific Princess from the "Love Boat" fame which (its my understanding) was designed/built for and did the NYC/Bermuda run for many years. I think we sailed her 3 or 4 times to Bermuda from NYC and back. In fact, we were on her on 911.

By modern measures this ship was lacking in frills but the loyal crew embraced its passengers as family and the overall cruise service/experience was superb.

This (now sold/retired) ship was relatively small at about 20,000 tons but it rode those waves like a champ. In many respects the "ride" in rough seas was a lot less unpleasant than on much larger vessels. Size is not all that counts here with respect to sea sickness. There's no set formula.

The (old) Pacific Princess would bob like a cork in the waves sometimes but was completely bullet-proof in the rough seas. I miss her for that and more.

Anyone know her whereabouts?

John

Anyone know her whereabouts?

John

She's being operated by CVC out of Brazil after being with Pullmantur in Spain.

A bit of trivia. In 1998 25kg were found on board smuggled by an employee. There was evidence that she had become a major tool for smuggling drugs in the Mediterranean.

Pacific_Princess_1987.jpg

Archived