An FYI about hotel room charges in Asia

greatam

Just spent all of January, February and part of March on a business trip in Asia and the Middle East. My admin just brought this up-hotel rooms I booked through booking agencies-Hotels.com, Asia Rooms.com, etc., incurred either FREE or very small currency conversions charges. And NO charges by my bank (Chase and Citi) for foreign exchange transactions.

I am now looking over all the hotels I stayed in-Beijing Hotel, Beijing, Rex Hotel, Saigon, Royal Orchid, Bangkok, Peninsula, Bangkok, Grand Hyatt, Dubai, LeMeridian, Kuwait City, Al Rasheed, Baghdad, Mustafa and InterContinental in Kabul, Nan Hai, Shenzhen, Miracle Hometel, Bangkok, and a few others (I stayed in a LOT of hotels as well as a few tents on US military bases)..

Hotels booked through Hotels.com include LeMeridian, Kuwait City, Miracle Hometel, Bangkok (a very nice tourist class hotel for a very cheap price VERY close to the airport with shuttle service-it is new), Rex Hotel, Saigon. There were NO fees on my credit card-they billed in US dollars.

Asia Rooms-Peninsula Bangkok (high floor-22nd-executive room for $223.00 per night-such a deal), Beijing Hotel, Beijing (I always stay there-Asia Rooms usually has the best prices), Nan Hai, Shenzhen. Asia Rooms also billed in US dollars (I booked through the US offices-Los Angeles and NYC)

I booked the Royal Orchid Sheraton through the Starwood website. And obviously booked the hotels in Baghdad and Kabul at the front desks with CASH.

I was charged OUTRAGEOUS charges at the Royal Sheraton for foreign exchange and bank fees. They billed EVERY charge separately (a drink, a meal, a few items in the gift shop). So EVERY charge included both a foreign currency transaction charge AND my bank charge.

Same thing at the Grand Hyatt. I had "Hyatt Stay" certificates purchased via phone call to that particular Hyatt Dept (a VERY good way to get Hyatt hotels priced at $350 and up per night for less than 1/2 price-if you want details, please post). But again, the Hyatt billed EVERY charge separately. They took my credit/debit card upon check in. And left the final bill under the door that last night. BUT they billed a meal separately, a couple of drinks separately, EVERY check I signed for was billed separately and sent to my bank. So EVERY charge incurred foreign exchange and bank fees. MOST world class hotels bill the FINAL bill as one charge.

I am Starwood and Hyatt elite. I am sure I will get at least some of the OUTRAGEOUS charges back. An FYI to those who don't travel frequently and are not top tier hotel programs people. The charges really add up. My admin has not gotten through all the receipts yet to reconcile with the bank account and credit card statements. But she is now estimating that I paid over $500.00 in ADDITIONAL charges. OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Not sure about the bank charges but my foreign currency fees are always a percent of the transaction amount so whether they billed seperate or together would be the same amount. But I also always use my Capital One credit card which charges no extra fees for any of that. I will be testing my new credit union card soon. I used it last month in Romania and was only charge $1.5 for the atm fee, so not too bad. It is the currency conversion fees that get me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greatam,

Could you please say more about how Hyatt Certificates work? I guess I am frightened away by the disclaimer message on the site (participating hotels can change at any time). Must you buy the certificates first and then make reservation using them? I am looking at Grand Hyatt in Seattle for the fall. The weekend certificate is only 418 (2 nights and includes breakfast for 2 each day). The cheapest rate at the hotel is 249/night....so the certificates would be great. However, how do I know that I can use that certificate. Any additional info appreciated.

Hi Greatam,

Could you please say more about how Hyatt Certificates work? I guess I am frightened away by the disclaimer message on the site (participating hotels can change at any time). Must you buy the certificates first and then make reservation using them? I am looking at Grand Hyatt in Seattle for the fall. The weekend certificate is only 418 (2 nights and includes breakfast for 2 each day). The cheapest rate at the hotel is 249/night....so the certificates would be great. However, how do I know that I can use that certificate. Any additional info appreciated.

I called Omaha-402 935 5307 (I was in Kuwait), asked about availability (the dates I wanted were available for "stay certificates").

After I put the room on hold, I purchased the certificates (all in the same phone call). I gave them my credit card, was charged for 2 "stay" certificates ($330) plus $20 for international Fed Ex. This all transpired on Monday evening Omaha time. The certificates arrived in Kuwait on Friday. I also got email confirming my reservation (one email), then a separate email receipt for the stay certificate purchase.

I believe the reason they state hotels can change-these certs are heavily promoted to the business community for incentives, awards, etc. Example: All company employees decide to use their certs given to them for Xmas presents at Hyatt Las Vegas. But the Hyatt doesn't want 75 people there on the same night using discount certificates. Maybe they have a convention, maybe they are expecting heavy walk in traffic. So they merely tell people that their hotel is not participating at that time.

I would call the 402 number I posted and do exactly what I did. I just did the same thing again for the Grand Hyatt, NYC. Had to adjust my dates by a week, but again, a $350+ per night hotel for $165. NOT a bad deal.

Hope this answers your question.

Archived