Bangkok State of Emergency

nadalina

Fox News reported today that the Prime Minister of Thailand has declared a state of emergency in Bangkok and the military has been brought in to try to gain control of the situation. I will be on the Crystal Symphony next week and Bangkok was supposed to be on our itinerary for overnight in Laem Chabang but I feel certain Crystal will not go there now. I am waiting for word from my family crew member on the Symphony about what port might be substituted but looking at my world atlas I can't imagine where that might be because we end up in Singapore on May 1. Would love to hear from others on different lines with similar itineraries and what you hear from your cruise line.

Thanks,

Peggy

Peggy

I live in Bangkok and would be very surprised if the ship changed its port. Laem Chabang is two hours from Bangkok and well away from the areas of protest.

As for the city itself: I was out last night and drove around the city completely unrestricted. You'll be fine unless you choose to go to the parts of the city where the protests are taking place.

As for the media: remember they sensationalise everything to sell their product. Remember the pics from the protest in November showing the guy with his leg blown off...and then it turned out the same guy was photographed earlier in the week taking part in the protests and he only had one leg! Amazing what a bit of photoshopping can do.

Relax and enjoy your visit.

Cheers

KM

Here's today's advice from our Foreign Office website. We don't get to Bangkok on the cruise until 27 April so a lot could happen by then - for better or worse.

"On 12 April the Thai Government declared a State of Emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding areas. The Emergency decree prohibits gatherings of more than 5 people. However, large anti Government demonstrations in Central Bangkok are continuing. There have been outbreaks of violence with protestors attacking Government vehicles. Some armoured vehicles are now deployed around Bangkok. Thai TV have shown pictures of some military vehicles being seized by protestors. In view of the deteriorating security situation anyone considering going to Bangkok should urgently review their plans. British residents in, and visitors to, Bangkok are advised to avoid any areas where demonstrations are taking place and to stay indoors as far as possible."

Hi, we're also keeping an eye on the impact of the unrest on cruises; here's a news item we've launched today: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3170. Please don't hesitate to drop me a note if you hear something new (we do have inquiries out to cruise lines that are in the area).

One note about Crystal -- since Symphony doesn't visit for another two weeks or so it's not likely that line will make a decision just yet. But it's interesting to hear from wberthin, who's now there. Thanks for the info!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I am also on the Symphony on the 27th. I tend to go with Klongmaster as he is actually on the spot. Governments issue warnings to cover themselves and do they believe that everyone in Bangkok is "...staying indoors as far as possible..."

I should think that right now the traffic is choked up as it is every day.

I am optimistic that the situation will improve by the 27th.

I was in contact last night and again this morning with a friend who lives in Bangkok part of the year and has an apartment on Sukumvit Road right in the heart of the city. He said that there have been no protests or violence in that area at all and he feels things will settle down very quickly and get back to normal within a day or two. He is the one who arranged my private guide and hotel for me and he is encouraging me to keep my plans in place unless, of course, Crystal decides not to dock in Laem Chabang at all. I, too, think it's too early for Crystal to make any decisions and will continue to hope that everything will work out just fine.

9:30am 140409 update

Last night saw the army clear out the remaining protestors from around Government House.

Most of Bangkok is unaffected by all of this and there are no restrictions on travel. Oh and no traffic congestion as most of bangkok's population leaves for their home provinces during Songkran. You can drive anywhere in record time during this three-day period.

We know a number of folks who are doing tours prior to boarding Diamond Princess and they have had a great time with minimum inconvenience.

9:30am 140409 update

Last night saw the army clear out the remaining protestors from around Government House.

Most of Bangkok is unaffected by all of this and there are no restrictions on travel. Oh and no traffic congestion as most of bangkok's population leaves for their home provinces during Songkran. You can drive anywhere in record time during this three-day period.

We know a number of folks who are doing tours prior to boarding Diamond Princess and they have had a great time with minimum inconvenience.

Thanks so much for the update, Klongmaster. I also heard from my friend last night who has an apartment in Bangkok and he said virtually the same thing. I feel much better about the situation now and will continue to hope everything will be completely back to normal very soon. I would be terribly disappointed not to experience this wonderful city.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived