Balmoral-Kodiak Island

merecat

After her missed call to Petropavlousk probably because of the Russians throwing a wobbler,Balmoral will ,according to Freds website,be calling next to Kodiak Island .

This will be a great place for scenery and wildlife ,volcanos etc.,what an adventure this world cruise has been.:)

In response to your post the 2010 Balmoral 106 night World Cruise (L1001), current Earlysaver price is £8637. This price is based on a lowest grade inside cabin, subject to availability and terms and conditions apply.

Regards Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Thanks a lot FOCL! I have a few years yet before I can take a 105 night break but that sound enimently affordable. In the meantime I shall have to enjoy my summer 12 nighters on the Bamoral and keep topping up the pensin scheme!

• 2 weeks later...

Have just done the 70 days from Dover, and disembarked (very smooth operation) at Vancouver. Thoroughly enjoyed the Cruise having had a good deal at end of November. People from Holland did the leg Singapore to Vancouver and were reported to have paid a quite small amount - includng 2 long flights. The past 2 weks or so were most enjoyable n Alaska and FO are to be congratulated on their vision in being the first Cruise Ship in these Ports this year. We saw Orca Whales, Eagles, and a lot more although, sadly, the Bears did not quite wake up in time for us.

It would appear that good offers are going to continue for some time and many of the people who paid what would normally seem to be good prices many months ago are not too pleased.

I thought the visit to Kodiak and the other calls in Alaska were fantastic. Apart from the rain in Kodiak the "wall to wall" sunshine in the rest of the ports was fantastic. It was also good that the "Balmoral" was the first cruise ship of the season and we didn't have to cope with the crowds when the American "monsters" arrive.

When you add to this the great visits to Vietnam, China, South Korea and Japan made the Singapore / Vancouver sector of the world cruise a great success. The 3-day land tour in China was especially memorable.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed Parsman.... So many spectacular features that even The Great Wall trip didn't get a mention in your precis. Nor did the detail of sailing within a few hundred meters of the Hubbard Glacier!

I continued to LA, so Vancouver in brilliant sunshine, the Golden Gate at dawn and Alcatraz were also very special.

My only disappointment with the cruise was that FO wanted 35% per night more to extend from LA to Dover, despite there being no flights involved. I would love to be still on board!!

Hi Eurocruiser,

I did forget to mention the Great Wall which I walked on in the snow - a novel experience! All the visits to the glaciers were great. Alaska really is God's Own Country. I had been there on business several times but never as a tourist. It was, literally, icing on the cake for a great cruise.

Sorry you couldn't get a better offer for the last leg of the cruise.

I am collecting my luggage from Dover this Friday - I hope!!

No. Merecat, I didn't get a certificate but I got some good photos of the Great Wall in Arctic conditions. We had three days on shore in China, in Xian it rained, in Beijing we had wall to wall blue skies and sunshine and at the Great Wall snow. You can't ask better than that. In Alaska we had one wet day and four clear, sunny but beautiful days. As we seemed to be the first cruise ship of the season everywhere we saw places as they should be, not crowded with tourists. What great memories.

Archived