Princess Mazatlan "Sport Tournament Fishing" Excursion

kcl

My husband is interested in reserving this excursion on our Diamond Princess cruise on 1/29/05. Does anyone have experience with this excursion? Was it worth the money ($139)? Did anyone have an impressive catch? Would you do it again?

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.

check out the other private companies before you book thru the ship. The ships tour makes you rotate around 4 trolling rods so not so good for fishing. There is a guy who reads these boards that has a great website and I'm sure he'll respond as well.

his website address is at work.

Cruz

My DH decided to not go with the ship sponsered trip and went with Vikings fleet, you can find his comments on this sight.

He and his buds had a great time but like he doesn't aske me what I paid for a pair of earings, I did not ask him about the expense of the fishing. I just know that they caught enough to make him happy and they had a great time with a good captian, I guess that would make or break it.

The address is, I think http://www.vikingsfleet.com

If I am wrong, just do a search here and you will find them.

Also, not as big a crowd as they can have on the ship sponsered ones, or get cancelled because there are too many that want to fish.

Give them, well actually a guy named Gray, a write and see what you can find out about prices and all that stuff.

Good luck and I hope your DH has a great fishing day.

I have heard, and have no idea if it is true because it sure was not on our ship, that some let the fisher guys bring their fish to the ship to be cooked. Check on that because I'm pretty sure it is not true.

Read it right here but a long time ago.

Sharon

I would check out the non ship sponsered trips as far as fisihing goes.

My DH had friends go with the Let's go Fishing guys and had a not so good time. The capt. and the crew did not speak English and, from what I heard from the friend, was not anywhere near what they expected.

Not much more but remember, ususally you get what you pay for. Quality or zip in Mexico. At least that has been my experience. That does not mean that the ships tours are quality. Keep up´your research.

Sharon

Hello KCL,

The cruise ships can charge from $139 to $149 U.S. per person and will place you on the old, wooden fishing boats at the old harbor where the cruise ships

are at. They will place you onto one of the boats with up to 4 to 6 people with only 5 fishing lines. You may take turns, or you may just take a particular line. It all depends what everyone agrees to on the fishing boat. At the old habor, there are only 4 newer fiberglass boats that are nice. They are called "Luhrs" which is the maker of the boat. All the other fishing boats at the old harbor are of the old wooden boats, of course large, and most are powered with only 1 diesel engine, so as you will find out are not made for speed.

These boats are for those who really do not care if they catch fish, but just want to get out on the ocean and of course save money with the chance of catching fish. Of course they catch fish, but they are unable to make the distance it takes most of the time to get to the fishing grounds in the matter of time you have while visiting our port onboard the crusie ships.

All our Cruisers (Bertram's and Uniflite) are some of the newest fiberglass fishing boats with 2 diesel engines for speed to get you the most fishing time. Also on our trips, they are usually 6 hrs trips (time you leave our dock to time you return to our dock). Many others will offer only a 4 hr trip.

I would like to say more here, but I do have to make sure that I do not say too much to be really pushing our fleet. These boards are for information to help cruisers have the best cruising experience. I am here to try to answer all questions not just for fishing, but as well on any questions people may have about Mazatlan. As well about Long Beach/LA Harbor or San Diego as I was in the U.S. Coast Guard at both ports and can offer some good information.

Please feel free to ask anything you mught want to know about doing in the Mexican Riviera on these boards. There is always someone who will see oyur questions and will give good advise.

Hope this info helps.

Have a really great cruise on the Diamond Princess. It is a really beautifull ship.

Gray (fish4ever)

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiry. You have given me lots of things to plug into web search engines to get even more information. There appear to be lots of options out there in Mazatlan and we've got almost two months to do some research.

Archived