Quick Shuttle Mem Day timing to SEA?

susandiego

We plan to take Quick Shuttle from our hotel in Vancouver to SEATAC on Memorial Day (Monday 25 May 09). I understand that one can run into delays at the border, and not sure about Mem Day traffic along this leg, so we're wondering how much time we should allow for going southbound on this US holiday.

We're booked on a 6:45p departure from SEATAC. I wonder if the 10:30 Quick Shuttle departure from Vancouver is cutting it too close. It is scheduled to arrive at SEATAC airport at 3:55p.

Grateful for advice from experienced travelers and locals.

Thanks!

Susan

We plan to take Quick Shuttle from our hotel in Vancouver to SEATAC on Memorial Day (Monday 25 May 09). I understand that one can run into delays at the border, and not sure about Mem Day traffic along this leg, so we're wondering how much time we should allow for going southbound on this US holiday.

We're booked on a 6:45p departure from SEATAC. I wonder if the 10:30 Quick Shuttle departure from Vancouver is cutting it too close. It is scheduled to arrive at SEATAC airport at 3:55p.

Grateful for advice from experienced travelers and locals.

Thanks!

Susan

You should allow about eight hours, just to be sure: 4 hours for the drive itself, and 2-3 at the border. Likely, it will take a little less than that at the border, but you can never be certain. If you get there earlier, you can be happy.

You should allow about eight hours, just to be sure: 4 hours for the drive itself, and 2-3 at the border. Likely, it will take a little less than that at the border, but you can never be certain. If you get there earlier, you can be happy.

That's a long trip.

It sounds as if we should plan on taking their S2 shuttle, which is scheduled to depart at 7a and arrive at 12:20p.

I imagine the airport could be a bit of a zoo as well, and then there's that festival going on in downtown Seattle that day.

Starting to regret booking that great flight deal from SEA. :(

So, it sounds as if two ways to shorten it might be:

- Take the Amtrak coach instead. It has fewer stops, so its 8907 bus, dep 8a arr 12:30p, shaves an hour off. Disadvantage: need to get from hotel to Amtrak station in Vancouver and Amtrak to SEATAC in Seattle. The latter could be an issue with the festival going on downtown, not sure. :rolleyes:

- Rent a car and make the drive. Follow advice from locals about alternative border crossings that could be quicker. Disadvantage: considerably more expensive. Advantage: Might be a nicer drive, more flexibility.

Ugh. Well, if anyone reading this might like to share a car rental from Vancouver to Seattle on Monday, please drop me a line. :)

Thanks for the advice!

Susan

Which hotel will you be at in Vancouver? There used to be a bus that would pick up at certain hotels and I'm sure if you asked they would drop you off at Vancouver Amtrak station. I would contact the hotel direct and check what they suggest and costs.

The Amtrak coach does have a lot less stops - after the station it only has 2 other pick-up points before the border and then goes direct to Seattle Amtrak station. Once you are over the border it is a breeze but the border can be a nightmare on weekends, let alone a holiday! It would be faster to clear the border in the bus as the border has a bus lane (once the bus can get to it!). I would plan on leaving early though to make sure you get down there in time. I also believe you can get a reasonable price transfer from Seattle train to Seatac. Perhaps Amtrak could tell you? Or just catch an early Quick Shuttle and get to where you need to go without having to mess around as it might be faster with all their stops then getting to Vancouver train station, to Seattle train station and then on from there! Quick Shuttle picks up downtown Vancouver too.

The border is almost GUARANTEED to be bad on the Monday of Memorial Day weekend. Lots of people returning from the long weekend, and there is construction at the Peach Arch crossing which is restricting the number of lanes. Although the early start at 7am from Vancouver means you should be into whatever backup is at the border by 8am and you'd miss the worst of it. But at least some folks will be thinking to get across the border early, too. I don't think it will be worst case (3+ hour backup at the border) that early, but I would not entirely rule it out, either. I think the later, 10:30 departure will get you in trouble, because the border will certainly be backing up at 11:30 on the last day of a holiday weekend.

Bottom line, I think you'll make it with time to spare on the 7am departure, you have a couple of hours of "slack" on your schedule. But you may have some nervous moments.

I wouldn't drive that day. All the crossings are likely to be bad that day, and it is just going to be a hassle all the way around.

Thanks, all.

We're booked on the 7am shuttle, and my mind is at ease.

These boards are soooo helpful! I hadn't noticed the homeports boards until recently. Since I live in San Diego, I must start checking questions about our own home port and providing answers when I can.

Many thanks,

Susan

Archived