Hyatt Regency Miami

kimmariecarr

Hi Everyone

I am staying overnight at the Hyatt Regency in Miami before my cruise on the Spirit. I have a few questions:

1) Does this hotel have a view of the cruise ships?

2) How far away is the bayside market, and what is the best way to get there? taxi or walk.

3) Are there any grocery or convenience stores nearby? I want to pick up diet pepsi for the trip

4) Where would you eat dinner if you were staying here?

Thanks!

Kim

Obviously not all rooms will have a view of the cruise ships - but alot do. Bayside is a few blocks away. You could walk - but a taxi is only a couple bucks. Yes, there are convenience stores nearby. We ate at Bayside market when we stayed there - we liked all the different options.

The Hyatt is a couple of blocks off the water (second ave)...and even if you get a room on the eastern side...the view of the port is not great. The bayside market is about a ten minute walk...and that is where you should eat (25+ restaurants). Check into using the metromover to get to the Bayside market and a convenience store. It comes right by the Hyatt.

This hotel is a great value if you can get it on priceline.

There are signs in the main lobby area that direct you to the metromover, but it talks just about as long to walk to bayside. Area is a little "sketchy" at night, kinda abondoned with all those empty office towers. Also, the route between the people mover station and the hotel lobby is mostly indoors through some office tower shopping areas and hallways. It seems all closed on weekends and I felt uncomfortable in there by myself at night, but I lived to tell the tale so I guess it wasn't THAT bad :-)

3 blocks over from the hotel (go out through the front door and walk along the street AWAY from the drawbridge, then turn right) there was a street with tons of discount stores and a wallgreens, ask at the desk they'll give you directions. There was a discount clothing store on the same street as the walgreens where I picked up a few things cheap.

View of the port is not all that great, but you can ask for a room with a partial view. Also, ask for a room away from the drawbridge if possible, the dinging of the alarm can get annoying.

Eat at bayside, there are obvious theme resturants (Bubba Gumps et el) a food court and a couple of independantly run places (I liked the beef/steak house all the way on the end, closest to the cruise ships on the lower level) For an adventure take a cab to South Beach and basically it's one great resturant after another on Lincoln Street an in the area, plus there's the combination of the "I'm too sexy" types combined with a bit of a freak show on weekends which is vaguely entertaining.

Skip the Famous Don Pan's for breakfast, highly over rated IMHO, but it is cheap. The Hyatt was astonomically expensive in all the resturants, The Marriott Courtyard across from the Hyatt has a passable breakfast all-be-it overpriced buffet but I love the "healthy" crunchy french toast you can order off the menu! It sounds weird but all the marriots serve it now, It's not on the buffet, and it's really good!

Archived