Bargain Alaska Cruise !

nolaAlive

sort of

Alaska Marine Highway System

Leaves from: Juneau's Auke Bay Terminal

Alaska's ferries cover 3,500 miles of coastline, but the 150-mile voyage across the Inside Passage from Juneau to Sitka is extraordinary. The 10-hour trip takes you past humpback whales, sea otters, black bears, pristine spruce and hemlock forests, and the sprawling, blue-tinged Mendenhall Glacier. In clear weather you can see the spectacular peaks of the Coast Mountains. The ship's outdoor heated solarium lets you bask in the views while fending off cold winds; indoors, the ship's cafeteria serves local salmon and beer brewed in Alaska.

Can I bring a car? Yes

Cost: Adults $45 one way, kids $23, cars $79

More info: dot.state.ak.us

Photos: 1 of 3

If you look at that carefully, a cruise at this year's prices is FAR cheaper. The ferry is $45 for a 10-hour day that includes nothing but transportation. I can get on a cruise ship for a 24-hour day that includes accommodations and all meals for only a few dollars more than that, and dock downtown instead of out in the middle of nowhere like most ferries do.

The Alaska Ferry System seems to be a "secret" known mostly by those who live there.

We used it when we took our MH to Alaska for over two months one summer.............boarded it at Prince Rupert and got off and back on at MANY places. It is difficult to plan because the ferries have such irregular schedules and you may get "stuck" in one city for more days than you'd like. With MUCH studying of the schedules, you can plan a wonderful trip. It's NOT cheap, for sure, but it gets you there.

There are campers aboard and they can set up their tents on the aft deck where heaters are provided overhead. They have huge, lovely shower accommodations. You can sleep in huge, comfortable chairs surrounded by windows or you can rent staterooms. The food is very reasonable.

We finally got off and then drove "everywhere" and drove all the way back home (to Oregon).

After checking out "all" of Alaska, we were hooked and return almost annually.

I've been on the "Alaska Marine Highway" system several times and while it is a good way to get around SE Alaska, it is nothing like a Cruise Ship. If you like adventure and sparse accommodations, then the Ferry is the way to go, but like I say it can not be compared to cruising.

Archived