Snorkel in Aruba

jefarl

Will be Aruba for a day in May and was hoping to find a nice beach where I could also snorkel off of... Don't really like to take boat out as I find it hard to get back in after an hour of snorkeling...

Anyone have suggestions??

My husband and i have just returned from sailing on Enchantment of the Seas. We had a memorable stop at Aruba, we love snorkeling and decided to take the De Palm Island snorkeling tour. It was a four hour tour and we thoroughly enjoyed the snorkeling. It was a fifteen minute coach ride to the marina where we picked up a boat which took across to De Palm Island (only five minutes). We immediately started to snorkel, simply walk into the water, we saw large blue parrot fish that were so beautiful, they were not afraid of us and swam happily alongside us, under us, everywhere. Their were guides who assisted people who were not familiar with life vests and snorkel equipement and guided people to certain spots, We remained independant had a great time. We spent so much time snorkeling that we were not able to take full advantage of all of the facilities, there was a water park which i would loved to have tried and food and beverages were also included. The tour cost $72.00 each but i noticed that if we had taken a taxi to the park and paid the normal admittance fee it was also $72.00 so it was a good deal by going with the ship. The guides at the park said that because De Palm Island is sheltered and not affected by jet skis and lots of boats that is why there are so many parrot fish. They said that you would not find parrot fish on the other island snorkel sites but i have not evidence to back that up. We were so impressed with the fish that we went and purchased an underwater camera and i am really hopeful that the pictures will come out well.

I've been to Aruba for 3 trips one week each. I have only seen Blue Parrot fish one time in areas other than De Palm Island. The Blue parrot fish really are spectacular.

The Palm Beach area where most of the hotels are, not to be confused with De Palm Island, is not worth snorkling.

If you go off by yourself on something other than a tour, Arashi/Malmock reef is the area to go. It is past Palm Beach. It is actually an area that many tour operators go to. However, there is no beach.

I think your best bet is to do the De Palm tour.

thanks everyone who recommended De Palm island. The web site and other comments seem great other than the cost for what we had only intended to be a half day. Will discuss with DW and decide. Thanks again!

i think you will enjoy Arashi/Malmock beach just north of the hotels. We just scheduled a taxi to pick us up drop us off at the beach and return 3 hours later. (FYI Bring something dry to wear on the ride back, the taxis do not like wet seats) There is no food service at the beaches so bring some water. Also the shore and coast have a lot of rock so bring some surf shoes or something comfortable to get you to the water. The reef is just a few yards off shore and extends out to where the tour boats moor. You should be able to swim out over the whole reef in an hour and a half.

Archived