Question about excursion with children

Hello! We will be on the Mariner in January. My son is 15. He wants to do the dolphins in Jamaica, but I am not able to do it with him as I have to stay with his brother who is in a wheelchair. My brother, his uncle, will be doing it with him. Does my brother need anything in writing from me stating that it is ok for him to sign a waiver for my son to do the excursion? If so, is a notarized letter ok?

Before anyone says so, I know that the dolphins in Cozumel are better, but we have plans to do something else in Cozumel, so Jamaica is where we have to do the dolphins.

Thanks for any help in advance!

jules

I am far from a lawyer....but if travelling with a family group as you described (cruise or land-based for that matter), I would be sure that my brother had a letter covering full consent, medical treatment, etc - for the two sons.

Will the excursion tour even ask or notice, probably not - but my post is more an reminder to all parents to make arrangements for child care, in case they are absent or temporariliy unable to assist.

But back to the excursion question, be sure to carry along multiple copies of whatever letter you design. Formal papers have a way of getting wet and ruined from one day to the next <grin>.

My daughter (13 at the time) snorkeled in Grand Cayman with her grandmother who was also on the cruise with us. Nothing was required by RCCL or the excursion providers -- there weren't even any red flags raised that my daughter was 13 and the only passenger in our cabin booked on this excursion. (Price-wise for excursions, teens are "adults" so there are no desingations in the excursion records -- my 6 year old, however, shows up as a "child" when we book excursions on-line).

All of this is not to say, however, that it wouldn't be a good idea for your brother to carry something giving permission to make medical decisions...just in case.

- PAGA

6 RCCL

4 Celebrity

Archived