Barcelona Restaurants on a Sunday

We arrive in Barcelona this Sunday and everything I am reading shows that the restaurants are closed on Sundays. Is this the case? Is everything pretty much closed down on Sundays in Barcelona?

Are the main tourist attractions open? Our hopeful itinerary for the day was to drop the luggage at the hotel, go straight to Segrada Familia, then go to Parc Guell and then head to La Rambla for dinner and maybe a glass or two of an adult beverage. Then, back to the hotel to sleep before leaving for our cruise Monday morning.

Is this possible or am I in dreamland? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

We were in Barcelona on a Sunday and the city was hopping as usual. Your plan of attack for the day sound reasonable.

Not sure when your flight arrives, but if you are looking for lunch inbetween Sagrada Familia & Parc Guell may I suggest this plan:

With the nativity façade at your back, walk to the near-left corner of the park across the street. Then cross the street to reach the diagonal Avinguda Gaudi (between the Repsol gas station and KFC). From here, follow the funky lampposts four blocks along a pleasant, shaded, café-lined pedestrian street (Avinguda Gaudi). When you reach the striking Modernista-style Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, cross the street (to the left) and walk 100 yards on St. Antonio Maria Claret street to catch bus #92, which will take you to the side entrance of Parc Guell. The ride is about 10-15 minutes. It is NOT the first park you pass so don't get off early :)

There were tons of restaurants open on Avinguda Gaudi - on a Sunday. We ate at one about two blocks up on the right hand side...can't remember the name of it now but it was great. It offered a menu of the day for 12 euro - appetizer, entree, dessert, and drink. There were 3-4 choices for each course so you can pick what you like. I highly recommend the coca bread as an appetizer but do not recommend the arroz con leche (rice pudding) as dessert unless you like it soupy. Might be able to get the name of a credit card billing statement if you are really interested, but there were dozens of cafes with reasonable prices and appetizing menus so you can pick what appeals to you. Several had picture or English menus.

I do recommend getting something to eat before you get to Parc Guell even if you don't eat a full lunch. At the park, there is only one little cafe with long lines and high prices. Mostly sandwiches and snacks. Also bring a bottle of water with you - there are no water fountains or vending machines or street carts. You should be able to find water around the Sagrada Familia, no problem.

From Parc Guell, you can leave on the bus that you originally took, walk (it is far - maybe 15 minutes - but is an easy walk if you are able...downhill to start and then flat and well marked) to the Lesseps metro station or find a cab. Our original plan was to take a cab back to the city center, or at least to the metro station, but we didn't see any cabs waiting by the front entrance which is why we ended up walking. A word of advice: don't walk from the metro uphill to the park. I am 22 and in great shape but it would be a long walk uphill even for me. Could I do it? Sure, but in the hot sun of Barcelona I'm not sure it would be worth it. Thankfully my mother talked me into the bus uphill and walking downhill :)

On Las Ramblas, everything is open all the time. They are catering to tourists, so restaurants will be open early (compared to normal 10pm dinner times!) and will be open 7 days a week. We ate at Nuria (I think that's the name) near Placa Catalunya at the northern end of the Ramblas. Prices were reasonable and the food was good, but not stellar. Plenty of English speaking waiters. We got a jug of sangria, probably about 10 glasses worth, for 13 euro to split 3 ways. There were plenty of other restaurants, too, and many had outdoor seating. If you'd like a quicker bite to eat, there are also fast food and sandwich shops.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I just got home on Monday so Barcelona is pretty fresh in my memory. You'll love it; have a great time!

We were in Barcelona on a Sunday and the city was hopping as usual. Your plan of attack for the day sound reasonable.

Not sure when your flight arrives, but if you are looking for lunch inbetween Sagrada Familia & Parc Guell may I suggest this plan:

With the nativity façade at your back, walk to the near-left corner of the park across the street. Then cross the street to reach the diagonal Avinguda Gaudi (between the Repsol gas station and KFC). From here, follow the funky lampposts four blocks along a pleasant, shaded, café-lined pedestrian street (Avinguda Gaudi). When you reach the striking Modernista-style Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, cross the street (to the left) and walk 100 yards on St. Antonio Maria Claret street to catch bus #92, which will take you to the side entrance of Parc Guell. The ride is about 10-15 minutes. It is NOT the first park you pass so don't get off early :)

There were tons of restaurants open on Avinguda Gaudi - on a Sunday. We ate at one about two blocks up on the right hand side...can't remember the name of it now but it was great. It offered a menu of the day for 12 euro - appetizer, entree, dessert, and drink. There were 3-4 choices for each course so you can pick what you like. I highly recommend the coca bread as an appetizer but do not recommend the arroz con leche (rice pudding) as dessert unless you like it soupy. Might be able to get the name of a credit card billing statement if you are really interested, but there were dozens of cafes with reasonable prices and appetizing menus so you can pick what appeals to you. Several had picture or English menus.

I do recommend getting something to eat before you get to Parc Guell even if you don't eat a full lunch. At the park, there is only one little cafe with long lines and high prices. Mostly sandwiches and snacks. Also bring a bottle of water with you - there are no water fountains or vending machines or street carts. You should be able to find water around the Sagrada Familia, no problem.

From Parc Guell, you can leave on the bus that you originally took, walk (it is far - maybe 15 minutes - but is an easy walk if you are able...downhill to start and then flat and well marked) to the Lesseps metro station or find a cab. Our original plan was to take a cab back to the city center, or at least to the metro station, but we didn't see any cabs waiting by the front entrance which is why we ended up walking. A word of advice: don't walk from the metro uphill to the park. I am 22 and in great shape but it would be a long walk uphill even for me. Could I do it? Sure, but in the hot sun of Barcelona I'm not sure it would be worth it. Thankfully my mother talked me into the bus uphill and walking downhill :)

On Las Ramblas, everything is open all the time. They are catering to tourists, so restaurants will be open early (compared to normal 10pm dinner times!) and will be open 7 days a week. We ate at Nuria (I think that's the name) near Placa Catalunya at the northern end of the Ramblas. Prices were reasonable and the food was good, but not stellar. Plenty of English speaking waiters. We got a jug of sangria, probably about 10 glasses worth, for 13 euro to split 3 ways. There were plenty of other restaurants, too, and many had outdoor seating. If you'd like a quicker bite to eat, there are also fast food and sandwich shops.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I just got home on Monday so Barcelona is pretty fresh in my memory. You'll love it; have a great time!

This was WONDERFUL information. Thank you so much answering with such detail. I am very grateful. Thanks again!

Archived