Standard tripod vs. tabletop model

I have both and was wondering if there is a consensus as to which type most people take on cruises.

My "standard" one is mag-fiber construction, but along with the head, still weighs quite a bit. I was thinking of taking the tabletop model instead on upcoming Alaska cruise. Should I take the full sized one instead? Thanks.

-Wayne

I rarely find use for a table top tripod because if I have something to sit the tripod on it is much quicker, easier and lighter to just brace the camera against the object. I need a tripod is when there is nothing to brace against which means a full size tripod.

If I were driving to/from the port and had no luggage restrictions I would take everything I could carry including the full size tripod. Flying commercial with baggage restrictions means every piece of equipment must be needed. I pack no frills which means no accessories like a tripod, laptop, specialty lenses...

I sort of split the difference. Like pilotdane, I generally use local resources like railings, rocks, trees, chairs, etc. to brace my camera. I shoot with a Sony A700 and an older Minolta 7D, both of which are sensor-stabilized and limit my need for a tripod. For the rare times that one is truly needed when traveling, I carry a lightweight tripod (http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Ultra-M...0935024&sr=1-4) that extends to 60 inches. I have also used it as a monopod with the legs velcro-strapped together with one of them extended.

About 2 lbs and very compact. Especially since I replaced the standard 3-way head with a Giottos mini-ballhead.

Dave

pilotdane, dave:

Thanks for the feedback. I want to take some type of tripod along so that I can pics of my wife and myself without having to find a stranger to help. Also, I have ambitions of trying to do some panoramas while in Alaska. I know that people have successfully done panos hand-held, but I think having a tripod would improve my chances of getting some decent shots that I can stitch. Maybe as a compromise, I can replace the gear head on the larger tripod with the mini-ball head.

At this time, I am just planning on taking an UWA and a 18-200mm, 16G of memory, c. polarizer and a tripod. Am I missing anything?

-Wayne

What about the flexible tripods like the Joby Gorillapod?

I have a Panasonic DMC FZ18.

Quite a few people like the Gorillapod. You just need to pick the right one for your combined camera and lens weight. I've heard that in certain positions, the Joby can creep a little and that the head adjustment is not as smooth as you would like. Other than that, I have not heard anything else negative about it. I almost bought one but decided to stick to a tripod with conventional feet instead. My camera alone weighs about 825 g. The FZ18 is lighter at about 360g so you have a choice of two models.

How heavy is the heaviest lens that you thinking thinking of using with the camera on the Gorillapod? If it is not too heavy, you can probably get away with the "SLR" model (800g/1.75lb max load), otherwise go with the "SLR-ZOOM" (3kg/6.6lb)

-Wayne

I bought the following from Adorama for our last crusie:

http://www.adorama.com/TPK.html

It is very inexpensive ($25) and lightweight (26oz). Works great on table top and also extends to 50"

It is a bit flimsy when extended - it isn't going to hold an FZ18 in the wind - although I did use mine for both my FZ28 and a Canon SD880 and it works fine in most situations. It did fulfill the purpose I needed it for which were to be able to include myself in some basic group pictures, and pictures with my wife, using the self timer.

I had originally looked at the tripod Pierces recommends - but didn't want to spend quite so much. I was willing to compromise on quality and stability as my needs are not as involved as I do pretty basic snap shots - not serious photography. The unit I bought worked out fine and way better than either the small cheap table top tripods I've used in the past or the additional weight and bulk of a larger tripod I have.

Quite a few people like the Gorillapod. You just need to pick the right one for your combined camera and lens weight. I've heard that in certain positions, the Joby can creep a little and that the head adjustment is not as smooth as you would like. Other than that, I have not heard anything else negative about it. I almost bought one but decided to stick to a tripod with conventional feet instead. My camera alone weighs about 825 g. The FZ18 is lighter at about 360g so you have a choice of two models.

How heavy is the heaviest lens that you thinking thinking of using with the camera on the Gorillapod? If it is not too heavy, you can probably get away with the "SLR" model (800g/1.75lb max load), otherwise go with the "SLR-ZOOM" (3kg/6.6lb)

-Wayne

Thanks for the response. I may go with the SLR model. I do have a small table top tripod that folds into itself. (legs are inside the body) that I have had for 25 years and used with my Yashica film camera.

I may just bring it with me.

Thanks again.

Denise

Archived