Barrow - North American Tour Co or Alaskan Tours?

CruisinMama7

You already know, this is a too short of a timeframe. :)

But, you would have a superior option if you arrange a private guide, rather than going on these scripted, staged tours. That may be what you are looking for?? Then it doesn't really matter which of the above you choose.

From everything I've been able to find out, if you want to get out to the point (which is one of my main reasons for going there), you have to arrange a private tour anyway. I found this out by reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I believe the companies word it that they will take you out as far as the road goes, but it's still another 6 miles to the point. Many people were very disappointed.

Budget Queen convinced me that an overnight is important because of the Midnight Sun, so I made all my own arrangements and know my hotel will help with the tour guide. However, since you aren't staying over, I would inquire which of those companies will make arrangements for you to hook up with a private guide, then choose that company.

I would inquire which of those companies will make arrangements for you to hook up with a private guide, then choose that company.

None of these companies is going to hook the OP up with a "private guide". I have suggested many times, to arrange this way before going. One good way to do this is to request recommendations from either the King Elder or Top of the World. THEN contact them, establish a working relationship and Have ALL plans in place BEFORE you go. Both of you have a very short time. I wouldn't be wasting any of it.

I was giving her suggestions, I already talked with my hotel and they've given me a guide's name and number. But one of the things my hotel says is that their services are for guests only, so it isn't my place to offer their services to someone who isn't a guest.

Thus my suggestion to ask the tour companies. On TripAdvisor, one of the people said they were told they could have made arrangements to extend their tour to the point for an additional fee, but no one told them ahead of time.

Archived