Canopy Tour - I need some........

ciship

This information may be too late for the people above but may help future travelers to Puerto Vallarta.

We spend a couple weeks in PV every year. They have two canopy tours offered in the area. One by Los Veranos (South of PV) and one by Vallarta Adventures (Northeast of PV). This link will take you to a 2002 review - http://www.virtualvallarta.com/vallarta/articles/canopy_tours.html

I don't know which tour is offered through the various cruise lines. I have been on the tour offered by Vallarta Adventures and booked it in advance via the internet. $70 at the door, $63 if booked via the net and they offer several different time slots each day. It was safe and fun. They start with a short distance traverse to help build confidence in yourself and the equipment. All traverses involve a double line for added safety and you are ALWAYS connected with a third safety line to something. The five hour tour length includes transportation to & from the site (an exciting trip by itself). Actual time in the trees is 1.5-2 hour.

If you have a morbid fear of hights, this may not be an activity for you.

Thanks so much for sharing that review. It has made me more excited than ever! We are booked with Los Veranos at the end of next month. RCI offers Vallarta Adventures through their excursion office; however, you are unable to book it on your own and they only allow participants 18 and older. This definitely didn't sit well with our 8 and 17-year-old, and I was really happy to see that Los Veranos could accommodate us. With that said, I'm sure both canopy tours are very well done and a lot of fun. Again, thanks for the great review.

Whistler Mountain resort in British Columbia has the Ziptrek tour which sounds very similar. It is a series of 4 ziplines high in the trees. It is awesome! I am quite fearless when it comes to things like this, but my son and husband are both a little on the wimpy side, so weren't too sure about doing it. My son almost chickened out when when we got to the first platform, but he got up the nerve and just loved it! My husband did as well, and he isn't usually too thrilled about heights. It is very safe as you are well harnessed.

As someone mentioned, for smaller kids the problem is that they might not make it all the way across since they don't have the weight to get up enough speed. We had an 8 year old in our group who didn't quite make it across on two of the lines, so he ended up sliding back to the middle of the line. The instructor just put on a rig and manually went out to to where the boy was and attached a line to him and then pulled him in. The boy didn't seem fazed by it, but some children might get freaked out in this situation, so it is something to consider.

Having said that I would recommend this kind if adventure to everybody - it is not to be missed!

Sheila

Hey fellow Lower Mainlander. We go to Whistler a few times per year and my husband wanted to do that one. Now we're cruising during spring break and going to finally do the one in PV. Our 16 year old is aprehensive but is going to do it and overcome her fears. My husband is so excited about it and it's bigger than in Whistler.

BTW we're from Surrey

Archived