rum runner?

YayGirlsTrip

I see people mentioning rum runners when referring to sneaking liquor on board. What are they putting the liquor in?? What is the "rum runner"?

I'm probably going to feel really stupid soon... LOL :rolleyes:

Rum Runners are clear, durable, polyester flasks that the alcohol goes directly into. They come in a couple of different sizes and are supposed to be undetectable by x-ray machines, etc. If you google "rum runners", it will take you to their website where you can check them out for yourself, read all about them and even order them if you want. FYI -- the shipping is extremely quick. I think I received mine in 2 days or so.

oh! we have quite a few of those actually! Where do you put them? luggage that it checked? carry-on? pocket?

Look for my review under zip tie/rum runner question. I talk about the rum runners where we put them and I have the website where to buy. We put all in out checked luggage different suitcases. But my husband had a small one in his pocket and walked right through onto the ship with it.

placed an order for the rum runners this morning! can't wait!

They will arrive really fast. Be sure to read the directions that comes with them. It talks about filling them up with hot water and letting them sit on the counter. We had our sitting on the counter for a week or so prior to our trip!

Have fun you girls!!! :-) I also posted a packing list... called ULTIMATE PACKING LIST...

Janet

They will arrive really fast. Be sure to read the directions that comes with them. It talks about filling them up with hot water and letting them sit on the counter. We had our sitting on the counter for a week or so prior to our trip!

Have fun you girls!!! :-) I also posted a packing list... called ULTIMATE PACKING LIST...

Janet

You were right! They arrived super fast... I ordered Friday and they were in the mailbox on Monday. I did see the directions. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm so ready to GO!!!!!

You were right! They arrived super fast... I ordered Friday and they were in the mailbox on Monday. I did see the directions. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm so ready to GO!!!!!

It is so insane how fast they arrive!! You will enjoy them for sure!! J

What kind of liquor do you guys put in your Rum Runners and what do you mix it with? I was thinking about ordering these so I can drink my favorite crown and coke but I guess I would have to still buy coke on board or maybe buy a soda card. Is that what you do?

What kind of liquor do you guys put in your Rum Runners and what do you mix it with? I was thinking about ordering these so I can drink my favorite crown and coke but I guess I would have to still buy coke on board or maybe buy a soda card. Is that what you do?

We get the spring break cruise kit. We take vodka, rum and whiskey. For mixers we bring (or have brought previously) little six pack cans of pineapple juice, boxed minute maid orange juice, case of water and we bring the lemonade crystal lights and raspberry crystal lights. The Raspberry crystal light with malibu rum makes a tasty drink. We also bring 12 packs of soda.. so we are pretty covered but I will still get a coke card so that I can get a coke whenever I want to.

We get to town a day early so that we can get all of our "grocery" shopping done.

Best Regards!

Thats kinda what I thought, the problem is we are flying in the day of departure and have paid for a transfer from the airport to the port through royal caribbean. I don't think I want to check cases of pop for the flight (don't even know if I can) and I'm not sure that we can stop anywhere on the way to the port with the transport that we paid for. Has anyone done transfers through Royal Caribbean before? Will they stop at a grocery store or something?

Thats kinda what I thought, the problem is we are flying in the day of departure and have paid for a transfer from the airport to the port through royal caribbean. I don't think I want to check cases of pop for the flight (don't even know if I can) and I'm not sure that we can stop anywhere on the way to the port with the transport that we paid for. Has anyone done transfers through Royal Caribbean before? Will they stop at a grocery store or something?

I see.. yes you really shouldn't fly with pop. That could be a big mess!

I have never seen where the bus will stop at a store on the way to the port.

Well depending on how anxious you are to get "on" the ship, we have done this before.

On one of our earlier times we cruised and had to get there the day of, and took a transfer directly to the port, we arrived at the port. We already had our rum runners filled inside our suitcases for the flight. We just put them inside zip loc bags for extra protection. Then we had the baggage handlers take everything from us to check it in.

All they do is take your suitcases from you and load them up in bins.

We then took a cab as there are many there and had them take us to the store (we had already searched where the nearest store was so we had directions for the cabbie where to go) we bought our pop and water.. etc.. We had extra cruise luggage tags with us, but even if you didn't the baggage handler guys always have extra tags with them.

We had the taxi take us back to the port and then we gave the baggage handlers the pop carton(s) and case of water (with tags on) might need to have tape with you to tape on the tags... just be prepared.

Then we went onto the ship. Doing this might seem like a pain in ther rear but to us it was worth it and delayed our boarding the ship by less than 30/45 minutes.

Ya know?

Thanks!! That's the kind of advice I was looking for. The problem is our flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30 AM in Fort Lauderdale (earliest we could get there) then we have the transfer to the port, which I believe is about 30 minutes, So I guess that would leave us about 2 hours to get to a store to buy drinks.

I'm not sure I fully understood your post tho, Did you arrive at the port, check your bags onto the ship and then leave the port to get drinks, then came back to the port to board the ship?

Thanks!! That's the kind of advice I was looking for. The problem is our flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30 AM in Fort Lauderdale (earliest we could get there) then we have the transfer to the port, which I believe is about 30 minutes, So I guess that would leave us about 2 hours to get to a store to buy drinks.

I'm not sure I fully understood your post tho, Did you arrive at the port, check your bags onto the ship and then leave the port to get drinks, then came back to the port to board the ship?

Yes, you got it right. We flew in, got on the bus transportation provided by the cruise line, then when we got to the port all the luggage was taken out of the bus underneath and the porters are there to take all the bags. Be sure and tip them. (we never got on the ship).

We then got a cab, went to the store and got what we needed and then got back in the cab & we were dropped off at the drop off location at the port. The luggage handlers are all over the place there.. we gave the luggage guys our tagged water, soda etc... (tipped again) and then went inside the terminal, checked in and got on the ship.

You should have PLENTY of time to do that if you wanted to.

Checking in for a cruise is similar to checking in at the airline except the baggage handlers are just there to take your bags and make sure that your items are tagged with your cruise luggage tags. You don't have to show them tickets or anything. Then you would walk inside the terminal and go to the designated areas, generally lined up by decks.. and show your papers and ID to the person at the counter where they check you in and then provide you with your plastic Sail & Sign cards which will be your room key and "credit card" for the whole cruise.

I hope you have read my review below.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Janet

Awesome, I think I'll order my rum runners now. Thanks a ton for the advice. And yes I did read your review it was fantastic!! Made me even more excited, we are also doing the Western Caribbean but were going to Ocho Rios, I think that was the only different port. And we are still deciding whether to do the Malfini Beach thing at Labadee. Our other option was to just lounge on the regular beach and eat at the bbq and save our 65 bucks per person. Do you think the Malfini beach excursion was worth the 65 bucks?

Awesome, I think I'll order my rum runners now. Thanks a ton for the advice. And yes I did read your review it was fantastic!! Made me even more excited, we are also doing the Western Caribbean but were going to Ocho Rios, I think that was the only different port. And we are still deciding whether to do the Malfini Beach thing at Labadee. Our other option was to just lounge on the regular beach and eat at the bbq and save our 65 bucks per person. Do you think the Malfini beach excursion was worth the 65 bucks?

I am glad this helps you. Anything for having fun! We even took our Magic Bullet Blender with us and made Pina Colada's.. HAAAA Were you thinking of bringing a small rolling ice chest? The little refridgerators don't keep things as cold as I like so we always bring a little rolling ice chest with us and the room attendant kept it filled with ice for us.

Oh we've been to Ocho Rios before. We did the river tubing .. it was lots of fun.

Malfini Beach on Labadee... well here is my take on it. If you like to be off on your own and away from the crowds then yes it was worth it to us and a great time. But if you like to be where the action is, maybe get on the slides and things that they have in the water, eat a lot at the BBQ... then you might just want to relax on Labadee..

There are lots and lots of lounges on Labadee and lots of shade so you are safe if you stay there.. we just wanted to try out Malfini Beach...

Yeah I saw your post about the ice chest and it sounds like a good idea just not sure how I would get it there or back, I guess we could buy one when we go get pop and then just leave it but thats kinda wasteful. Any ideas??

Yeah I think we'll just hang out and enjoy the scenery at Labadee, we've already got excursions booked for the other three ports so I think a day of rest at Labadee will be nice.

The ice chests that everyone in our group brings looks something like these

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=+ROLLING+ICE+CHEST.&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=COLLAPSABLE+ROLLING+ICE+CHEST.&_osacat=0

We all got them on ebay and while ours was collapsable, we brought it on the plane with us as a carryon and put our books, magazines... Ipods etc... in it. It isn't very big. My sister just folded hers up and put it inside her suitcase. Checked it in with the luggage.

Also, we had our cruise documents and luggage tags sent to us (some are emailed) so our luggage tags were the kind that have the stick on peel off paper on the back. I was short about three of them because of the pop and water etc.. so when we got to port I had the luggage handlers give us three for our suitcases that we needed them for and then I saved three of the kind that have the peel of paper on the back to slap on the water and pop.. so it would just stick on the items.

When you mention buying the sodas & water bottles and putting luggage tags on them to give to the luggage handlers, do you mean you just give them the case/box of drinks and slap a tag on it? You don't have to wrap them up or put them in anything? The ship will let you bring your own sodas in like that?

The ice chests that everyone in our group brings looks something like these

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=+ROLLING+ICE+CHEST.&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=COLLAPSABLE+ROLLING+ICE+CHEST.&_osacat=0

We all got them on ebay and while ours was collapsable, we brought it on the plane with us as a carryon and put our books, magazines... Ipods etc... in it. It isn't very big. My sister just folded hers up and put it inside her suitcase. Checked it in with the luggage.

Also, we had our cruise documents and luggage tags sent to us (some are emailed) so our luggage tags were the kind that have the stick on peel off paper on the back. I was short about three of them because of the pop and water etc.. so when we got to port I had the luggage handlers give us three for our suitcases that we needed them for and then I saved three of the kind that have the peel of paper on the back to slap on the water and pop.. so it would just stick on the items.

Yes, I don't do anything except put a cruise luggage tag on them. Please look at the pictures on my review here below. One picture I have shows the cruise luggage tags on the water and diet 7Up. Then another picture after that shows the luggage handlers putting the luggage in the bins and the cases of water and sodas are sitting there on the ground.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :-)

Yes, I don't do anything except put a cruise luggage tag on them. Please look at the pictures on my review here below. One picture I have shows the cruise luggage tags on the water and diet 7Up. Then another picture after that shows the luggage handlers putting the luggage in the bins and the cases of water and sodas are sitting there on the ground.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :-)

We are scheduled to set sail from Seattle, taking Amtrak. Will the Amtrak tags be sufficient with our names on them to get our luggage to our room at the port when we chk in there? or is there a special RCCL tag to put on when we chk our bags for the cruise? Sounds stupid, but our first cruise is may 29.

We are scheduled to set sail from Seattle, taking Amtrak. Will the Amtrak tags be sufficient with our names on them to get our luggage to our room at the port when we chk in there? or is there a special RCCL tag to put on when we chk our bags for the cruise? Sounds stupid, but our first cruise is may 29.

Did you get your cruise documents? Either from your travel agent if you used one or directly from the cruise line if you made the reservations directly. No the Amtrak tags will not be sufficient.

The official cruise luggage tags should not be put on the luggage until you are just ready to leave for the port. The cruise luggage tags have certain colors, and numbers on them that help the cruise line people get your luggage to your cabin.

When went to the airport for our cruise out of Miami, I had the cruise luggage tags in my purse. We checked the luggage in at the airport, then when we land and gather our luggage, we would put our tags on our suitcases just prior to leaving for the port.

Does that make sense?? If you look at my review below, you will see the cruise luggage tags I have stuck on my water and diet 7up. My tag was gold in color but there were all kinds of colors, then it lists the deck and my name and the cabin number.

Your questions are not stupid, when I went on my first cruise I didn't have anyone to tell me how it was or what to expect.

Remember, when you get to the port there are people standing there at the curb with these bins waiting to take your luggage from you. So if you happen to run out of tags or never even got them, then when you tell them your cabin number and deck you are on, they will put the correct tags on your bags so that they will get to your cabin.

Let me know if you need anything else!!

Did you get your cruise documents?

Let me know if you need anything else!!

the cruise doc's i printed off the i-net have a blue luggage tag,(with our info on it) but I did not know if I should print duplicates off the 'one' that it shows? or just get more when we hit the pier, it really doesn't tell us. it really does help to get answers from you and others, b-4 we run into trouble.

Print duplicates for what you need of the blue luggage tag. Hopefully you have access to a color printer.

I would assume that you will either have to staple together or tape them around the handles of your luggage. So bring whatever you need with you. We have always had our documents sent to us and they generally send us six luggage tags that are the peel and stick kind so I have never had to deal with tags that you print off of your computer.

If you don't have access to a color printer you can get some from the guy there when you get to the port.

I am guessing you are going on an Alaskan cruise? What cruise line. I have not done Alaska yet and hope to in the near future. Let me know if you have any other questions so I can help make your trip a more enjoyable experience!!

Best Regards!

• 7 months later...

I just ordered my Rum Runners for my 2/27 Navigator cruise. Those along with a collapsible soft side cooler should have me all set for drinks on board. Since juice is free, all I'll have to do before heading to the pool deck is put some Malibu in my water bottle and add juice from the Windjammer. My bar bill will be SIGNIFICANTLY lower on this cruise than the last!:)

Archived