Hong Kong Tailors and Markets

YPJS

:) My wife and I are spending 7 nights in Hong Kong on the way home to Australia after a 20 night Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam in Aug/Sept 09.

We are staying in Kowloon so could anyone recommend a reasonably priced tailor for womens and / or mens suits-clothes in or near Kowloon?:confused:

Also what are the best markets for clothes in Hong Kong?:confused:

Bye for now

We stayed in Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui) for a week in March. A popular tailor that I went into is Sam's Tailors off Nathan Road... did not purchase anything, but it is a favorite amongst tourists. A good friend of mine used Baron Kay Tailor at 42 Mody Road in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon and was very happy with the suit and blazer he had done there.

As far as markets are concerned, we visited Stanley Market -- it's a very touristy place where you can bargain with them... many knockoffs there though... the prices are okay, but no sort of deals like in the Silk Market in Beijing.

There are a LOT of places to shop in Hong Kong, and many of them are very, very nice designer type shops (especially in Central HK). Have a great time, it's a beautiful city.

We have used A Timeless Tailor inside the shops in the Sheraton Hotel in Kowloon...did a great job on my husband's suits....

For local market shopping, try Stanley Market on the Hong Kong side...take the Star Ferry across from Kowloon and from the Hong Kong ferry terminal, ask for directions to the bus terminal which is nearby and to the right of the ferry terminal just a block or so away...take Bus #6 (I think) for Stanley and sit on the upper deck of the bus and the ride alone is worth it just to see the scenery.....you will need exact change for the bus and the cost is equivalent to one U.S. dollar each way...the best dollar you will ever spend as the ride is fun and scenic!! For the return back, take the bus for Central back from the same bus stop at Stanley....and then take the Star Ferry back to Kowloon....simple and easy and signs are in English....from Kowloon, take the Star Ferry to "Central"......... Also in Central is the Lu Yuen East and West alleys that are street markets selling similar things that Stanley has, but Stanley is larger and these are alleys running off of Queens Road.

For local market shopping in Kowloon, go to the Jade Market, the Bowery Street Market, the Shanghai Street Market and the Ladies Market - all in the Mongkok area....the tourist maps all have the attractions marked along with which subway stop to get off at for each....signs are in English and the subways are quick, easy, and safe. These are the markets where the locals shop and not the designer shops!! All of the markets are marked in yellow highlights on the tourist maps....visit the HK tourist office right outside the baggage claim area at the airport or at the Star Ferry pier on the Kowloon side and they will give you all kinds of guidance and maps........the Mongkok area is very, very, very crowded, so it will really be an experience if you are not used to crowds.....carry a cross-body bag so you will be hands free while you are doing your shopping....at the north end of the Ladies street, close to the area where the flower market starts, they have "outlet stores" where you can buy factory seconds and new items are put out several times a day and you can often buy designer items for as little as $10HK (about a dollar and thirty cents U.S.) if you are lucky enough to be there if they are putting your size out. The whole Mongkok street market is truly a wonderful experience....bring lots of small amounts of cash as the vendors only take cash.......you will love Hong Kong....it is my favorite city in the world!!:p

Thanks a million to you also for the comphrehensive response; much appreciated.

Bye for now

Hi YPJS,

We, have had quite a few suits and jackts made at http://www.nitafashions.com/ over several visits, for both of us and both of our mothers. We have had formal outfits, cashmere suits etc. All have been made very well and at a reasonable cost. They even send Christmas cards each year with their specials.

Hope this helps.

Happy cruising

Chris

Archived