Private excursion in Naples

I contacted Salvatore of DriveAmalfi about our stop in Naples, and he is available that day. However, no one from our roll call is showing any interest in joining us, and he is just too expensive for a group of 2. So.....is it possible/advisable to hire a taxi at the pier to take just 2 of us to Pompei for a couple of hours and then down the Amalfi coast? Any idea of the cost? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Lynn

If your cruise is not until November, give it more time. Give yourself a deadline for finding others before canceling, that's what we did and we ended up keeping our booking as we had a third couple join us just before our deadline. Many roll calls don't really start getting busy until about 4-6 weeks before the cruise.

Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't mean that I was giving up, I just want to have a back-up plan. Our roll call is fairly active, so hopefully interest will pick up. But if it doesn't, is it advisable to just hire a taxi for the day at the port?

Lynn

You could but I wouldnt.

For the Pompeii part it would be okay.....but for the Amalfi drive part it can get tricky.

We also went in November (very end) and there was no crowds, no traffic etc. so allowed us more time to see more without being too rushed.

But- there's always a but isn't there ???? The Amalfi coast road is small, twisty windy and an accident can cause traffic backups even when there is not alot of traffic. This could cause delays and perhaps even missing the ship.

We booked APTours for our day there. Our driver was on the phone with the "office" numerous times during the day checking road conditions etc.... Was really peace of mind knowing that he knew if he needed to take an alternate route to keep us worry free. Taxi drivers don't have that bonus.

We did Pompeii in the morning (they arranged private guide who met us at the gate) then Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and then to Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples. Best day of the trip !!!!!

We split the cost with 3 other couples (from our roll call) and I might add we joined the tour only about 5 weeks out from our sailing. So advice to give it some time is good.

We met a couple at lunch on our cruise who had a private tour of the Amalfi Coast pre-booked and were looking for another couple (or more) to join them and share the cost. We cancelled our ship's tour and ended up having a truly memorable day with them and on a tour completely tailored to us. I hope you stick with your plans for awhile and find others, possibly in unlikely places as we were found!

Also, I would not chance this to a taxi driver unless you were sure that they were proficient in conversational English!!

Archived