Fred Olsen Balmoral v Thompson Spirit

LIMPIT

I am looking to book a Norway Fjords Cruise in August, sailing from the UK.

We have previously sailed with Princess twice in the Caribbean, however Father in Law, wants to sail from the UK in August.

The Balmoral sails on 9th Aug 09 and the Thompson Spirit sails on 7th August, I am waiting for the cruise prices to drop at the moment (the cost for a single person is outragous !), has anyone any information in respect to chosing either of the above.

Thanks

We used Thompsons last Oct and FO this March (1st time with both). Can't comment on your two ship choices as ours were a different pair, but our FO ship was much smarter, though Thompson cabin (same standard) was bigger. Both very clean.

Thompson do 'food' miles better than FO - all meals that is, including the afternoon tea. Not that much in the cost of drinks between the two, though Thompson will allow you to bring your own booze on board and drink it in your cabin, FO xray your hand luggage EVERY time you embark. Thompson happy hour better, FO's is rubbish, all you can get is some cheap mangy cocktails. Thompson were happy to sell us whole bottles of wine half price as long as they pulled the cork out!

Staff - equally as friendly and attentive on both ships but there seemed to be more of them on Thompson. Cabin cleaned promptly AM whereas FO often took 'til early PM to get it done (didn't really bother me much) - hence my view that they had less staff.

Tipping - Thompsons 'tips' are included in the cost of the cruise, FO's are extra - though not outrageously high expectations and it's all voluntary anyway.

Evening shows better on Thompson - slicker and they had more 'showgirls/boys', daytime activities better on FO. Better excursion choices on FO though organisation of disembarkation for them was pretty much a shambles most days. Might be better on other FO ships though.

Sunbeds - the usual sunbed battle, more shade if we wanted it on FO, pool better. A private are for topless bathing (though why some women want to get their saggy old knockers out is beyond me).

Disembarkation - FO do rather take the attitude "right you lot, cruise over, get off" when you have docked at your final port. Dumped all the passengers at the airport regardless of flight times. Some poor passengers faced a 7 hour wait there for their flight. Thompson happy for you to have the run of the ship, using the pool and restaurant right up 'til a SUITABLE time to take you to the airport.

I'd use either again and to sum up......6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Not really a lot to choose between them (I'd be guided by the cost and pick the cheaper of the two if the itinerary is the same).

Archived