29 members have voted

1. 1. Best Ship out of Baltimore

• Carnival's Pride
    • Royal's Grandeur
    • NCL's Majesty
    • Celebrity's Mercury
    • Other (specify)
    • None (they all suck bad!)

Which is the best ship out of Baltimore? With the prices so high on NJ/NY departures, flying involved with Florida and Baltimore not too far off, I am considering booking my next cruise out of Baltimore. It will allow us to drive down and park for the week and enjoy a decent cruise without paying the sky high NY/NJ prices. However, I am not sure that the cruise-lines have their good ships departing from Baltimore. Any tips here would help.

Carnival Pride gets excellent reviews. Celebrity Mercury is top of the line. It is true that Grandeur of the Seas is smaller than newer Royal Caribbean ships, but its Baltimore departures have been well received. At some point it is going to be replaced by the Enchantment of the Seas.

I saw the Norwegian Majesty in Baltimore last week-end. It is smaller than the Jewel, which I've sailed on, but I don't know anything more about her.

The Grandeur is a great ship with one of the best crews we've ever seen. They go out of their way to ensure you have a good time. We really enjoyed going to the Solarium, the adult only pool area. The ship has a lot of glass in the public areas where you can see the sea!

No matter which ship you pick, I hope you have a great cruise.

I have been on the Grandeur twice and agree that it is good ship with a great crew. I would suggest a balcony, since I find the outside and inside staterooms a little small. We have never been on the Mercury, but have been on many other Celebrity ships and have always been impressed with any Celebrity ship.

Last year we sailed the Majesty to Bermuda...great destination...ship was small and tired.

Just got off Carnival Pride to Bahamas...We love the ship.

If we could recommend a itinerary, it would be with Half moon Cay....

Nassau was ok (our second time there) but Feeport is a commercial port with a very short stopover.

Mike

After 3 days, only 13 votes and results are almost tied between RCCL, CCL and Celebrity with CCL ahead by a nose @ 5 votes!

I urge folks who have traveled on more than one of these ships please either post a reply or indicate their preferences in the vote.

Mucha gracias!!!

Ok better stats now. Celebrity edges ahead today. Also a deeper analysis of who voted for Carnival reveals that 3 of the 5 votes have been cast by members who have < 2 posts on CC ever! Those votes can probably be discounted, huh?

I voted for the Grandeur; I think it's the prettiest ship sailing from Baltimore right now.... Walls of glass on the main deck, and plenty of places to relax with great views.

Aloha,

John

I will be on the Grandeur next month. I picked it based on the reputation of RCCL and the ports we will go to.

At the time I booked it, there were only a choice of two, but now, there's so much. I think 2010 is when the Grandeur is being swapped with the other ship. It's just slightly larger, but similar in age.

If newer means best to you, then the Pride would win. I have no idea what "best" means.

We live very close to the Port of Baltimore and doubt we will sail on any of these ships. If we do, the Pride would probably be our choice as I have seen hundred of photos and read dozens of reviews of every ship.

While we would prefer Mercury for the almost non-smoking atmosphere and demographics, I am hesitant to pay the rates for a ship this age that will not have the state-of-the-art amenities and beauty of a ship like the Solstice.

The Majesty has no balconies, so that's a deal breaker right there for me.

Majesty - 1992

Mercury - 1997

Grandeur - 1996

Pride - 2002

We've sailed the Grandeur and would not sail her again. IMO, our aft JS cabin and balcony were in poor shape, there is only 1 designated venue for dinner other than the Windjammer (we prefer more options), the food and diningroom service was below par and in retrospect felt the 9-day cruise was way overpriced for the amount of accoutrements available on the ship. In other words, and in my opinion, the ship is dated and worn.

Good luck and have a ball on whichever ship you choose. ;)

Also a deeper analysis of who voted for Carnival reveals that 3 of the 5 votes have been cast by members who have < 2 posts on CC ever! Those votes can probably be discounted, huh?

IMO, post count has absolutely nothing to do with opinion. We all had < 2 posts at one time.

If you're posting a poll, why discount votes? After all, you are asking for the opinion of every CC member who has logged in.

IMO, post count has absolutely nothing to do with opinion. We all had < 2 posts at one time.

If you're posting a poll, why discount votes? After all, you are asking for the opinion of every CC member who has logged in.

Yes I agree. However, someone with 2 posts *could* be using a fake id. Also, a poll like is more meaningful when the person voting has traveled at least more than 1 ship. And yes, I am assuming someone who has traveled more than ship has posted more than 2 times. It is just an assumption.

Celebrity Mercury wins the poll but narrowly.

Personally, I'd use the age statistic by MadelineRose.

Then layer on the fact that the "best value" is *usually* offered by Carnival, and I am leaning to Carnival from Baltimore. Darn, I never thought I would go with them :D

I am assuming someone who has traveled more than ship has posted more than 2 times. It is just an assumption.

Yes, assumption it is. It's been written here that approximately 1% of cruisers are CC members.

I have many friends and family who have cruised since the 80's, around the globe and back more than once. They had never heard of CC until I mentiioned it in 2004 when I discovered it, would never dream of even lurking at this site, and they know what to wear on so-called "formal" nights. ;)

Yes, assumption it is. It's been written here that approximately 1% of cruisers are CC members.

I have many friends and family who have cruised since the 80's, around the globe and back more than once. They had never heard of CC until I mentiioned it in 2004 when I discovered it, would never dream of even lurking at this site, and they know what to wear on so-called "formal" nights. ;)

They probably do not need help on tipping, smuggling alcohol, etc. either. :D

Celebrity Mercury wins the poll but narrowly.

Personally, I'd use the age statistic by MadelineRose.

Then layer on the fact that the "best value" is *usually* offered by Carnival, and I am leaning to Carnival from Baltimore. Darn, I never thought I would go with them :D

We sailed on the Miracle from Baltimore in 2004 when the ship was 6 mos old. Yes, the decor was over-the-top, but when you come to peace with the fact that they're called the "Fun Ships", the decor becomes secondary. The Pride is her sister ship and there are mostly good reviews from those who have sailed her.

We cruised in October, so there were few children and we never saw a single "falling down drunk" the entire time. People were actually much more subdued than the audience at Quest on RCI. We are foodies and the Supper Club was fabulous. At the time, the main diningroom food was actually good also. The beds and linens were wonderful, robes were supplied in every cabin and our balcony cabin was sufficient for the 2 of us. I also had a wonderful massage onboard with no pressure to buy any products.

I forgot to mention that I did have a wonderful massage on the Grandeur. ;)

Our only "contention" with Carnival was the diningroom hoopla every night. The waitstaff sings and dances and they do/did this "red, white & blue team" contest thing every night. After the second night, our waitress and her male attendant new to quickly serve us our free decaf cappucinos, so we could bolt from the room b4 the "festivities" began. We prefer a more quiet ambience for dinner. If we ever sail Carnival again, we would most likely utilize the Supper Club more than once.

Funny, although we're not cruising at all this year, I'm thinking of cruising from NY next year, but no plans right now. ;)

..........Our only "contention" with Carnival was the diningroom hoopla every night.....

Thanks for the tip. I think I too will get tired of that after 2 days.

.....Funny, although we're not cruising at all this year, I'm thinking of cruising from NY next year, but no plans right now. ;)

Really? With NY prices? Curious.

Really? With NY prices? Curious.

I really don't find the NY prices that much more expensive than Baltimore.

7 day Bermuda - HAL Veendam has a great itinerary (ship was just refurbed) out of Manhattan and the Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne may be on the list, but the rate is more expensive and the ship docks at Kings Wharf rather than Hamilton and St. George, which is ideal, imo. My in-laws sail HAL exclusively...not sure it would be a good fit for DH and me. Just browsing, that's all.

I read that the Enchantment will replace the Grandeur in Baltimore next year. If there's a Bermuda run with good reviews, etc., that would be a consideration also.

There are some here who cruise exclusively. We do more land vacations than cruises. ;)

Just as an example:

Well, Enchantment 5-day, Kings Wharf, 29 hours in Bermuda vs. Veendam 7-day, 72 hours in Bermuda, St. George & Hamilton. Amtrak or 15 minute drive?

I quickly priced out a balcony cabin and there's about a $1600 difference. IMO, that's a big difference, but the itineraries don't compare.

Hmmm...if we want to do Bermuda again next year, we may just fly. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived