Appropriate Tip for Head Waiter

Luckyroot

Friends of ours are on the CB and one of them has a very strict NO salt dietary restriction. They have emailed me saying how absolutely wonderful the head waiter, Sergio, has been taking care of them.

They have asked me to poll the good folks here on CC for an appropriate $$ amount to tip the head waiter. Sergio finds them at dinner every night, and discusses the next day's menu to customize it to my friends needs. If there is nothing that appeals on the menu, he makes something up. In short, he's doing a FANTASTIC job and they want to thank him accordingly.

What would you tip for such outstanding service?

Is it the headwaiter, the senior member of the team that waits on their table every evening? Or is it the Maitre d'? Specialty diets are often (usually maybe) taken care of by the Maitre d' or Assistant Maitre d'.

In either case $10 or $20 would be more than sufficient, IMHO.

You say they are on the CB (Caribbean Princess)? You may want to post on the Princess boards also. But, whichever line, I would suggest the same amount.

Charlie

GAH nevermind folks!

I just realized that although we're sailing with these friends on the Jewel in October, they happen to be on Princess this week.

taking my embarrassed self over to the Princess boards......please carry on with the NCL revelry. :o:o:o

While I would expect that it is part of his job to assist individuals with dietary problems, it is not his job to seek them out. I think it is very appropriate to tip him. Without knowing any more, I would use my starting point for a butler or concierge, which for me is $10 per day, per person. As this is a service directed at a single individual, I would probably add a token from the other member in the party, as I would expect they got a little special attention also. Just my opinion.

Al

Archived