R U looking for Otis in Nassau?

4lifeinnh

If you are looking for a local tour of Nassau, look for Otis. I had read here before my cruise about Otis, a local taxi/tour operator and how everyone enjoyed his tour. When in Nassau 5/16 my DM and I made sure to be on the pier between 9 and 9:30 when Otis is filling his taxi van. We were approached by several local taxi drivers at the end of the pier asking if we wanted to take their tour, we said we were looking for Otis and they told us that he had the day off and that we should go with one of them. We said no thanks and went through the building and out to the street. When we were approached by more taxi drivers, we told them we were looking for Otis and guess what? Otis was right there... not taking the day off like we were told! So make sure you walk through and ask several folks for Otis if someone tells you he is not there! They may even call him for you.

We thoroughly enjoyed his 2 tour through neighborhoods, telling us the history of the island, sharing about his family, going to Atlantis for a walk through, and stopping at several local markets.

If you want some of the history of Nassau, look for Otis! You will enjoy it!

From these threads I had told my son & his girlfriend to ask for Otis when they were in Nassau earlier this month. Orig. the same sort of thing with people saying he wasn't there. Finally, some who at least said they were Otis came up to them, said he already had a van filled with people but set them up with a guy he said was his brother. I'm assuming he was who he claimed to be and they were very happy with the tour.

"Otis' brother" charged them $22. each. Some other ladies on the tour said they chewed him down to $20. each but that's being pretty cheap to do that...at least in my book.

If you are looking for a local tour of Nassau, look for Otis. I had read here before my cruise about Otis, a local taxi/tour operator and how everyone enjoyed his tour. When in Nassau 5/16 my DM and I made sure to be on the pier between 9 and 9:30 when Otis is filling his taxi van. We were approached by several local taxi drivers at the end of the pier asking if we wanted to take their tour, we said we were looking for Otis and they told us that he had the day off and that we should go with one of them. We said no thanks and went through the building and out to the street. When we were approached by more taxi drivers, we told them we were looking for Otis and guess what? Otis was right there... not taking the day off like we were told! So make sure you walk through and ask several folks for Otis if someone tells you he is not there! They may even call him for you.

We thoroughly enjoyed his 2 tour through neighborhoods, telling us the history of the island, sharing about his family, going to Atlantis for a walk through, and stopping at several local markets.

If you want some of the history of Nassau, look for Otis! You will enjoy it!

Hello I just got off the Fascination today and we went to Nassau Bahamas on Saturday. We took a water taxi over to Atlantis and also coming back. But on our way back from Atlantis on the water taxi we had a tour guide by the name of Otis. He was telling us who lived where and telling us about the different buildings. He was a great speaker and he spoke with so much excitement. If you ever watched the actor Will Smith's show Fresh Prince of BelAir, otis looks like the butler on the show named jeffrey! I am gonna put a picture on here of him that I took with him and he is on the right of me in the white/blue shirt. All I did was ask him to give us directions to The Fish Fry area and he decided to come along with us. So we walked following him and as we approached McDonalds he stopped the #10jitney bus and we got on and he did too. When we got there I told him we can eat at twin brothers. And he sat in there with us while we ate. When we were getting our money together to pay for our meals he went and got a taxi ready for us because jitneys don't run after 6pm. I was like the assistant tour guide because my family knew I had collected a lot of info on what to do in the bahamas from off this website so they were following me and I was telling otis where we wanted to go. So by this time it was dark we had to be at ship by 930. So as we were getting out of taxi back at the festival place we just put money together and gave otis a tip after paying taxi man. He(otis) didn't say anything about paying him he just offered to take us where we wanted to go. So is this the famous Otis or does he just happen to have the same name as your guy!

DSCI1228.jpg.8778be9cac9bc373634ae313d3e81c08.jpg

sorry folks it's taken me long to reply to your questions.

Otis looks young (maybe in his 30s), but he has a daughter going to college so maybe he is older than he looks! He is tall and slim.

He had a name tag around his neck that says his name is Otis. Supposedly he is the only Otis that drives a taxi van. Everyone there knows who he is and they speak highly of him. He's not the same Otis from the water taxi.

He charged us $23/pp and we tipped him $5 each. As far as I'm concerned I was happy to pay his full price (lots cheaper than the cruise line tours!). He gave a wonderful tour, needs to work to support his family and the cost of living in Nassau is high. And when we were there his van was in the shop and so he had to pay to rent the van he was using.

have fun when you go and let Otis know you heard about him on Cruise Critic!

Archived