POA review

Flyingirl

Just got back this morning and thought I would post what we found that was new. We are in our 40's with no kids and outdoorsy.

Oahu- Went snorkling to Hanauma Bay and we thought that was a waste of money. The reef was darn near dead and people all over standing on it. The cost was $1 to park and $5 per person to get in. If you have kids (as the beach is shallow) or you are new to snorkeling it would be good but not if you are experienced. Also went one day to Shark's Cove on the north and that was better viewing and free.

Maui- We should have booked an excursion to Molikini (had a car) to go snorkeling. Can not rent surf boards on the beach at all. Lahaina was cute but we are not really into the shopping thing. Drive to Hana was very windy. Iao Needle is a can not miss in our opinion! It was beautiful! Hookipa beach was fun to see (as we are windsurfers too) but WAY out of our skill level. (Also, can't rent stuff on the beach if it is in your skill level.)

Hilo- the car rental was a nightmare. We did the cheap Thrify thing and they have ONE computer. So the wait was about an hour and I am a Blue Chip member too! They only got some of the blue chips ready the night before. The airport is about 18min away from the port so we took a taxi to get there as it was a wreck trying to get a shuttle. (taxi was $16) None of the other spots were as long a wait and I would suggest having aother rental as a back up so you don't get stuck in the long line. We drove on highway 130 first over to the viewing area instead of VNP. It was technically closed. I will say technically and leave it at that. ;) It was the highlight of Hilo for us! There was a National Geographic grew that was filming there that we got to talk to. The rim road at VNP was closed due to fumes and that night they viewing area was closed too.

Kona- we rented a kayak and went across the bay to the Capt Cook monument for snorkeling. Snorkeling was the best we did in all of Hawaii and there are spinner dolphins that sleep in the bay there. Can only see them by kayak and they give you instructions. Loved seeing Greenwell Coffee on the way back.

Kauai- LOVED IT! Kept the car for 2 days there! Went to the canyon early and we got to see if before it fogged in. We were they before 9am. After 930am nobody got to see if due to fog. Not sure if the local weather usually fogs up up there when it warms up. Also, loved Haliwea on the north. The hiking trail is great and there is a waterfall 4 miles in. The beaches were beautiful and the bay there was GREAT for SUP's and surfboards. Very laid back and non commercial.

On the ship they have a progressive happy hour that we didn't find out about for a few days. From 430-530 1/2 price beer in the Gold Rush, from 530-630 1/2 price martinis in Pinks. (We had never had them and loved the apple ones. And they were $4.50!) Then from 630-730 half price wine in the Napa bar. Was nice for us to have a drink before dinner and not totally break the bank.

Food on the ship was GREAT! We were really surprised as we were not expecting much. Did Princess in AK last year and the food was so-so at best on that one. Expected the same thing and we were really surprised it was so good! Not as good as Celebrity but way better than Princess.

They did 1/2 price cover to Jefferson's Bistro every night from 530-600pm. Didn't go as we were happy with Skyline. Had some really slow (as in almost a 2 hour dinner slow) service 2 nights. But, just took the opportunity to relax and laugh it off. The rest of the time we made reservations with Raul as our waiter and he was wonderful! Would not have been happy to have the 2 hour dinners every night. He didn't rush us but kept things moving and was attentive. Best service on the whole ship.

Lastly, we did everything on our own and it wore us out waiting for shuttles and the rental car line. But, was fun and we got to see what we wanted. We had a car at every port and other than Maui- it was worth it!

Have a great time and enjoy Hawaii!

Forgot- we did get the Revealed books and they were great! But, they were not so good on the road and trying to navigate around. Especially if you went the opposite direction. We bought a Nelles Map of the Hawaiian Islands ($7) before going and that was our best investment if you are doing all the driving. We knew what we wanted to see and we could get there easily and reference the book for further information. But, I would not rely on the maps in the book. :)

Your problems with the car rental in Hilo worries me as we had planned on getting our car and then coming back to the ship to pick up the rest of our party for our helicopter ride. May have to have a back up plan. How early did you go for your cars?

We went right when we docked. I am sure this is not PC but- all the rentals were right together in that port. I wish I would have had a secondary reservation at Hertz or someone else. If I had it to do over I would have done that. Then, if the one line is too long- just go to the shorter line. The other ports all seemed to have 2 computers so not as bad as an issue at other spots. When we were waiting I walked over to Hertz and the walk up rate was tripple the one we had for Thrifty- so we stayed in line since we had alreay paid $16 to get the rental car spot.

We rented (an SUV) from Harper's in Hilo...close to the cruise terminal, and very quick service (shuttle was waiting at the dock for us, and we were on the road in about 10minutes). More expensive, but worthwhile! Also rented from Hertz in Kauai..again no waiting (the thrifty bus was filled to capacity). Personally, I would pay a few extra dollars to avoid a long wait.

Archived