Has Balmoral improved?

shevlen

Having read some pretty awful reviews about the new stretched Balmoral, has Fred Olsen addressed the issues raised? eg lack of sunbeds on sea days; tired and shabby cabins in the 'old' part of the ship; food arriving from kitchens on deck 4 to upper decks,tepid or cold; soot deposits on decks and sunbeds; nasty smells of diesel, fish and urine.

These reviews were written in 2008, so wondered if these were just teething problems and everything is ok now.

Has anyone been on a 2/3week cruise on the Balmoral in 2009?

In a word "yes". I travelled on two sectors of its world cruise (40 nights) in March/April and thought that things had improved considerably since I sailed on it last Autumn. I was on deck 5 (category D)(a double cabin with single occupancy) and thought it was fine. Plenty of space and spotlessly clean. The cabin was very quiet. The cabin and dining room staff were, as usual first class both in service and courtesy. The cruise director (JO Hudson) was a vast improvement on the one on the Caribbean cruise last Autumn.

I found the food excellent with a good choice. The wine list though not extensive was good and sensibly priced. The service in the bars was very good and the prices fine.

The star of the cruise was, of course, Captain Olav Sovdnes whose courtesy, humour and interest in nature and all our ports of call added greatly to the cruise.

The evening entertainment was, as ever, mixed but there were some good variety acts. It was a pity that some of the daytime lecturers were the same as on my last cruise - perhaps I cruise too often!

I think you will find the "Balmoral" is on the up and up.

We were on balmoral last week. Yes! there is still a problem with soot on deck especially if they are doing work on the engines. Yes! the food is still tepid to cold when ever you eat in a service restaurant. (Palms is better temperature-wise). Sunbed numbers seemed no problem (apart from the old chestnut of towels in place and no occupancy). Cabins in the old part have not changed, BUT are far superior to the new ones in the stretched section as they have ample wardrobe space and lots of drawers, which the newer ones don't. Also the bathroom storage is far superior.

Would still cruise on Balmoral again though!

Thanks nain and taid. My friend and I have bitten the bullet and booked for a month's cruise next Feb.

Absolutely hate tepid or cold food though! We'll have to choose the restaurant nearest the kitchens, I think. Any idea which one that would be?

I am seriously worried about this tepid food thing. It`s not acceptable in any eating establishment. Are the plates not warm? Has anyone any recent experience of the food temperature? Would like some reassurance!

We never noticed this (August 2008 Ballindalloch restaurant for first seating and the Palms for breakfast, lunch and some and theme dinners). I'm sure if it had been that bad I would have noticed.

In fact, if it were that bad, our baked alaska ice cream would have certainly been mush - and it wasn't.

I am seriously worried about this tepid food thing. It`s not acceptable in any eating establishment. Are the plates not warm? Has anyone any recent experience of the food temperature? Would like some reassurance!

I think a lot depends on where you sit in the restaurant, and when your food order goes in. I requested a main dish (spaghetti bolognaise) as a starter one time and it was the hotest meal I've ever had! I think the problem lies with (a) plates not hot enough and (b) food hanging around before the waiters pick it up. The steaks, which obviously are cooking time sensitive, are always hotter than the other, roasts or chops or "all-in-one" dinners, which do not spoil by being kept waiting (apart from the temperature!)

Archived