small whale watching boats

Lessa11

I've been reading reviews of the whale watching tours and have some questions. First, since Harv & Marv won't take kids under 13 (unless a private tour), are there any similar companies with small boats? Is a boat that holds 20-25 decent for viewing? Dolphin Jet Boat Tours sounds good, but I wish it was a smaller boat. Are there whale watching tours out of Ketchikan or Skagway? Seems they're all out of Juneau.

Try Alaska Whale Watching and Captain Louis. I don't know if they allow kids but we just got back from a tour with them and were very happy. They are also in the Alaska Tour Saver book with a 2-for-1 deal.

Mike

Try Capt. Greg with Weather Permitting. His boat is also a max. of 6 people. We had a great time with him and highly recommend this Juneau excursions. He will customize the excursion to whatever you like. His website is weatherpermittingalaska.com

Dixiechick....wow....first time I noticed a post from you and looked, and you are from Huntsville!! As am I!! Where have you been hiding out? We are leaving Monday afternoon for Vancouver and board the Spirit Wednesday.

Wow....I took a minute to see what you had posted other times...just click on someone's name.....and I saw where you had been to Venice. Alaska will be my first really big trip and first cruise since the early 80's. Have you posted your alaska pictures somewhere?

Best whale watching ports will be Juneau, Sitka or Hoonah. Juneau and hoonah you are basically looking at the same whales just comimg from different directions . Sitka is the port closest to whales usaully only have to go three to six miles to get to whales also see otters and more wildlife out of Sitka. Most small boats are six pack boats that can only take six passenger by law. These boats are small and most you wouldn't want more than six people as it would be crowded.

James Phillips Sitka

Krogerladie,

No I haven't posted my pictures. Where do you work in Huntsville? We ran into ALOT of people from Alabama on our cruise. My husband attracted everyone with his Auburn gear! We were walking into the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau, a lady at the fur shop next store stepped out and said War Eagle. Turns out her brother is the music director at Auburn. What a small world! We absolutely loved our Alaska cruise. Please try Capt. Greg, you won't be sorry. Happy sailing!

Krogerlady,

I live across the Alabama stateline into Tennessee. I work in Huntsville. I am planning to go to Alaska next June or July and I am devouring these boards on excursions.

Pat

Howdy fellow Southerners! We live just south of Nashville near Franklin. I've been through Fayetteville, TN and on down to Huntsville hundreds of times since I have a BIL there. We went to Alaska 5 times before we found CC. It has been most helpful in finding off the beaten path tours that we love, so keep 'devouring these boards' and you will enhance you Alaska experience!

When I was researching and planning for our trip, I found the people in Alaska to be very helpful. Harv & Marv, or any I've listed below, might be able to provide you w/ info about whale watching in the ports you will be at ... it's worth a try if you don't get an answer here.

We were in Icy Strait Point the end of May, 2009. Went whale watching with Teckk Outfitters. Owner, Keith, through in a little extra bear watching & a drive around town afterwards. He has 2 boats, each holds 6 passengers. I would not want to go out on a boat that held any more than 6 passengers.

Others in ISP w/ a good reputation are F.I.S.H.E.S and G-Wind.

I've written some pretty long reviews on other threads and included pics. We saw lots of whales both with Teckk and from our cruise ship the end of May.

Denise's pics, one album from start to finish (Seattle to Vancouver, cruise, and back)

http://picasaweb.google.com/defitz3/AlaskaMay2009RCCLSerenadeRoundtripOutOfVancouver?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDvp7uly-DG-AE#

Erika's pics, Skagway, drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake, saddle/paddle at Spirited Adventures, Erika has more pics, but I haven't had time to upload them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/defitz3/2009_05_27SkagwayToEmeraldLakeDrive?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzl8afGk7CxjgE#

Sounds like us southerners live near each other. How cool is that? I mostly hang out on the Regent board but have lurked Alaska since planning our cruise. I met a couple of cc'ers on our cruise and it was fun to find out who we were. We all got alot of good information and the excursions we took based on the boards (Dyer Dave and Capt. Greg of Weather Permitting) were highlights of our cruise. So I owe a huge thanks to everyone!

I've been reading reviews of the whale watching tours and have some questions. First, since Harv & Marv won't take kids under 13 (unless a private tour), are there any similar companies with small boats? Is a boat that holds 20-25 decent for viewing? Dolphin Jet Boat Tours sounds good, but I wish it was a smaller boat. Are there whale watching tours out of Ketchikan or Skagway? Seems they're all out of Juneau.

akwhalewatching out of Juneau is a small boat 9073215859 talk with Jeannie.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have recent experience with Teckk Outfitters for whale watching? Looks like they have a great boat from the pictures.

We have used TECKK many times and have always got a great tour enjoyed our time with them. Keith's last boat went kaput so he has a new boat for this year. I'm am looking forward to going out on it in August!

Archived