What is the best way to fish in Ketchikan? We're there from 7 AM to 1 PM.

cornbread73

Looking for best way for a non-fisher to fish in Ketchikan. We'll be there from 7 AM to 1 PM. Do the charters fill up, or can I book one at the last minute? Book through cruise or on my own? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Looking for best way for a non-fisher to fish in Ketchikan. We'll be there from 7 AM to 1 PM. Do the charters fill up, or can I book one at the last minute? Book through cruise or on my own? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Generally speaking, you put some sort of bait on a hook, place said hook in the water and hope for the best. I've learned over the two times I have been that it is best to put your hook in the water where fish are known to exist.

Just kidding. I have been to ketchikan but don't recall any day fishing from there. Try looking it up on Google. Sometimes you can find tours there that are better than the ones offered by the cruise lines. Just be careful of the time of the tour and get reccommendations from several sources.

Harlan

You could always bring your own reel and pole and go over to the bridge (after buying the appropriate license of course). Seems like there are typically 10-20 locals fishing over there and it is only about a 5-10 minute walk from the ship.

Gary

I used True Alaskan Charters but you probably have to be back on the ship at 12:30 so it's kind of tight. We didn't ride very far to fish maybe 20-30 minutes. We caught 3 halibut and numerous rockfish. We had steady action all day.

Good luck.

Just curious, but what were you able to do with the fish that you did catch?:)

They have a service to ship the fish home (too expensive and not really worth it IMHO) .... I just gave all the fish to the skipper and I'm sure he sold them. Good for him.

We have the same time period there as well. I set something up with Ken from Northern Lights Charters. I emailed, then I called and my husband and son are booked. He is picking them up at the boat and dropping them back off at 12:30. They can't wait!!

I'm not being a smart alec, but just go to the grocery store and buy them. But I really can't see why you'd want the fish if you were going to have to pay lots of money to ship them home. I know, I just don't get it.:confused:

Fishing is great. I've been looking at a small cruise that takes you fishing for 2 weeks. Do it if you can. It's a blast. Well, not really a blast but quite fun.

Sounds intriguing. Do you have a link to share with us? Please?

Thanks,

AG

No real link. Just google alaskan inside passage cruises and you will find 7 day fishing cruises. I was reading a fishing magazine one day and they had them. I, of course, have forgotten most of the info. But, it does sound like a great trip. If you like to fish. I do.

Archived