What to wear

fifetraveller

Take layers.

I was there last week and it was sunny with temps in the 80s! (F) Lots of people walking around in shorts. I never used my silk thermals or even the heavy sweater (jumper) that I took along. I was overwarm in a long-sleeved t-shirt one day!

That was unusual weather, though, so taking the layers along allows one to add and subtract as needed.

Layers definitely! This year seems to be warmer, but that could change. We were there last July and it was very chilly the whole week, the temps stayed in the low 50s most days. The ports did a booming business in fleece shirts and gloves and hats!

I was there last week too and absolutely wished I had brought some lighter clothes with me. After reading about how cold it was going to be I didn't think to bring anything lightweight. Never wore my fleece pullover, cuddle duds or sweater. It rained a little in Ketchikan but not enough to stop my kids from going ziplining. Juneau was beautiful weather in the mid 70's. Skagway was the only cold place because the wind was so strong and we took the WP rail, followed by a van tour to the Yukon with Dyea Dave and it was snowing pretty good up there, but as we were either in the train (well ok, it was cold on the platform), or in the van, it wasn't much of a problem. Glacier BAy was cool but not cold, probably high 60's and sunny and beautiful as was College Fjord. On the inland part, we were really too hot almost everywhere. It was 85 when we got to Fairbanks! That doesn't mean it will necessarily be like that for you though, so definitely dress in layers, but make sure to take light clothes too.

For me, I take the SAME attire, no matter when I sail Alaska, layers, lightweight lined jacket, rain gear, knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes. Mix and match and do laundry, cuts way down on bulk.

Forget doing laundy, you want to spend every moment enjoying your cruise.

Just check the weather right before you leave home. I listened to the boards and did not check the weather, what a mistake. I brought too many pairs of long underwear and no shorts.

Others on our cruise watched the weather and were comfortable, I never thought I would be hot in Alaska! (and got sunburned to boot).

I know this is unusual that's why checking the weather before you go is important.

Have fun!

I read TONS of recommendations on CC about what to pack and wear in Alaska. Then we got to AK on May 21 and by the time we got off our cruise in Vancouver on June 1 we'd barely put on a jacket.

We were there in the middle of an unseasonably warm spell. Like others, we wished we'd brought at least one short sleeve shirt and a pair of shorts.

When it's in the high '70s, wearing layers is vastly overrated.

But, again, it's Alaska......and it can be freezing in July.

DH and I hope we have solved the problem in case we hit either warm or cold as to pants. We got two pairs each of hiking pants that have zippers just a bit above the knees, that way if it gets hot,we are able to unzip and have shorts, its gets, cold, we put the bottoms back on and have long pants. They are lightweight so if we do need to wash them, they should dry in no time.

This one is for the ladies. I once bought at a crafts fair, some decorative pins, actually they are regular safety pins, large size. You can do these yourself. they are large safety pins, you buy beads of some sort, bought at any craft store, and put a few on the pin. Then you keep two pins in your purse. If it is warm, and you are wearing long sleeves, you can roll up the sleeves, use the pins with the beads side on the outside and viola!you have a short sleeve shirt that can be returned to long sleeve just by opening the pin!!

Archived