Motion Sickness advice

Jakeplays

My family of 6 is boarding our first cruise in a few weeks out of Baltimore....I am making list of things to bring....not that I am planning on motion sickness for anyone but want to have stuff on in case..we have 4 kids..ages 9-16...........advice please on what to bring "in case" thanks so much

Jenny

My family of 6 is boarding our first cruise in a few weeks out of Baltimore....I am making list of things to bring....not that I am planning on motion sickness for anyone but want to have stuff on in case..we have 4 kids..ages 9-16...........advice please on what to bring "in case" thanks so much

Jenny

Talk to your physician about the best treatment for children ... what works great for a 150 or 200 lb adult may cause huge problems for kids!!!

If you want non-medicinal treatments then bring some ginger tablets and seabands.

I always use Bonine and that has always worked for me. You can buy it over the counter at any drug store or Wal-Mart type store. I have also read this is what they give you on the ship for motion sickness.:)

Jenny

Jenny.......Dh and I weren't planning on having any kind of motion sickness on our cruise, we just sold our 32' sailboat that we had sailed in all kinds of weather with very large waves....I could go into the cabin and make food in large swells and it wouldn't bother me. We both needed to take anti-nausea medication for the entire trip while at sea. We just took 1/2 a dose, but it was needed, and we took it about every 6 hours and it kept us feeling fine. In Canada we use gravol, I'm not sure if you can get it in the US or not, but I would assume so and they sell it in a bottle of 100(generic) at the pharmacy in Walmart for about $3 :)

i get motion sickness...but love cruising and love the dining rooms as well:o. i use bonine, i find i tolerate it better than gravol or dramamine. do you or any in your family feel 'off' when you go on amusement park rides/rollercoasters? if so you might be prone to motion sickness. my 1st cruise the meds i took when i began to feel sick made me tired. asked the pharmasist the next time and he said take the meds at night 1 or 2 days before the cruise. it will help you sleep and you wont be droisy during the day but the meds will still be helping you.

I guess there are a few options that I have read about, but I am not sure of the PROs and CONs of each...

Dramamine-

Gravol-

Bonine-

Wristbands-

Ginger (tablets?)-

The shot you get on board?-

Any other nausea medication-

How often would one take any of the above? Which of the above has drowsy side effects? What dosage would you recommend for an adult?

Thanks for helping clear this up!!

My mother, sister and I are prone to motion sickness. My mothers swears by Merazine and gave me a box to take when we go on our cruise the end of this month.

I will let you know how it works for me - or if I will even need it. . .

Also keep some single-use alcohol wipes with you. Just a whiff will settle your stomach immediately. The effect doesn't last for an extended period but it will last long enough to get some other medicine into you and give it time to work. My dentist told me about it and I was surprised at how quickly it worked.

• 2 weeks later...
Also keep some single-use alcohol wipes with you. Just a whiff will settle your stomach immediately. The effect doesn't last for an extended period but it will last long enough to get some other medicine into you and give it time to work. My dentist told me about it and I was surprised at how quickly it worked.

Wow never heard of that one before but will bring some with me when I go and try it.

alcohol prep pads will kill the nausea? that is a good one, and I am going to try it.

i get car sick reading a map and feel so sick when i rode the tea cups at Disney.

i take bonine every 6-7 hours the entire trip and it does work for me. the only side effect (for me) is that I am very tired when I have the bonine and the drink of the day....bummer....sleeping by the pool will kill the seasickness though.

smile!

The boxed stuff (if I'm not mistaken, and DH is sleeping right now so i can't ask him) but I'm pretty sure they all have the same ingredients in them. (Except maybe the non-drowsy one) But I have two suggestions, one when you get on board and you get settled and have something to eat. Pick up some green apples to take back to your room. If you do get sick these will help you. But they must be the green ones. And although you may take this part for granted, when you are getting ready to set sail, Don't look down at the water. If you/children must look while sailing off, look at the horizon not down at the water.

Pick up some green apples to take back to your room. If you do get sick these will help you. But they must be the green ones. And although you may take this part for granted, when you are getting ready to set sail, Don't look down at the water. If you/children must look while sailing off, look at the horizon not down at the water.

Ditto the green apples. I was feeling a little off, and our room steward brought me some and they did help. Also, make sure you eat something. Not eating made me feel worse. I took ginger pills as they are recommended, and took Bonine in the afternoon.

My best tip is make sure you are facing the front of the ship. If my back was turned to the front of the ship, I could feel the motion a little more and it made me feel terrible. I always made sure to seat myself facing forward. I never got sick, but there were a few times I could tell I was getting naseous.

Archived