Destiny - Jewels of the med - do we pay to get off the ship at each port of call?

H

I have just recieved my tickets for the Jewels of the Med Cruise, and I am now beginning to worry that I will not be able to leave the ship without paying for one of their excursions. Is this the case?

I was hoping that at each port of call I could just walk off the ship (without paying any of the excursion prices) and enjoy the local town/port.

We are stopping at Barcelona, Palma, Toulon, Palmero, Naples, Olbia

All comments greatly appreciated as I am quite worried about this?

Thanks

Hi - you don't have to do the official trips. We usually pick and choose our trips. Places like Barcelona you can walk into the main town - straight up Las Ramblas and then get on the local buses.

No-one will hassle you (except the photographers, but just politely say "no" or have your pic taken and don't buy it!!!)

Ann

Don't panic.

You are issued with a card which allows you to get on and off the ship any time you please, you can get on and off as many times as you like. Always carry this card with you as it allows you to purchase things from your shipboard account, without it you can't buy a thing on the ship.

You can only get on and off through 1 (or 2 in some cases) set of doors It is scanned each time you get on and off the ship for security and to let the captain know whom he has left behind at each port:D

H

I have just recieved my tickets for the Jewels of the Med Cruise, and I am now beginning to worry that I will not be able to leave the ship without paying for one of their excursions. Is this the case?

I was hoping that at each port of call I could just walk off the ship (without paying any of the excursion prices) and enjoy the local town/port.

We are stopping at Barcelona, Palma, Toulon, Palmero, Naples, Olbia

All comments greatly appreciated as I am quite worried about this?

Thanks

Don't panic, we love to do the same, and arn't great fans of organised excursions. We usually just let the crowds get off first while having a leisurely breakfast. Then we will walk into the local town/city, stop to have a nice drink in some lovely Cafe/bar and generally take it easy.

You have a card that is used to check you on/off the ship and can do this as many times as you wish. You can stay on board all day if you dont want to get off, or go on a organised tour. The holiday is yours, and you can do as much or as little as you like. Thats the beauty of cruising.

Don't panic, we love to do the same, and arn't great fans of organised excursions. We usually just let the crowds get off first while having a leisurely breakfast. Then we will walk into the local town/city, stop to have a nice drink in some lovely Cafe/bar and generally take it easy.

You have a card that is used to check you on/off the ship and can do this as many times as you wish. You can stay on board all day if you dont want to get off, or go on a organised tour. The holiday is yours, and you can do as much or as little as you like. Thats the beauty of cruising.

Thanks John, I was beginning to panic that they were going to charge me just to walk off the ship!!!

Thomson are very good - unlike some other cruise lines they do not try to aprt you from your money at every opportunity. Of course, you need to pay for drinks (unless AI), organised shore excursions and perhaps a few other (optional) things but you are not pressured in any way. Doing your own thing in port is perfectly acceptable and they will also provide a free A4 sheet of information - sometimes with maps - for each port.

Thanks,

So I can just walk off the ship at each port and pay nothing??

Can I just walk off the ship? or do they have a smaller boat that take us to the shore?

In most (if not all) the ports you are going to, the ship will berth alongside the dock so you can come and go as you please. Where the ship has to anchor you will get a tender boat (ususally a ship's lifeboat) to shore. Where this is the case they will be frequent to allow you to go back and forth if you wish. Hoever, you should be informed before you go if you have any Tender ports.

Have a great cruise!

Eddie :)

Archived