Egypt to Istanbul May 7

fhcfac

We are experienced cruisers but this will be our first on Seabourn(We have loved Raddison Song of Flower, no longer available.) Alexandria will be our pre-cruise. Has anyone been there with Seabourn? We will be going to Luxor and are wondering if it will be hot and what appropriate wear for ladies might be.

My husband & I will be on this cruise although we start in Dubai. We have lived in the Middle East and I usually try and dress in very light cotton tops and skirts that fall below the knees. Take a scarf in your bag in case you want to visit a mosque and I always take a hat as the sun can be very harsh. Short sleeves (no bare shoulders in religious buildings) are fine and so are slacks but I find that skirts are better in the heat. No matter what you wear you will be welcomed but if you show lots of skin you will probably catch the attention of males, especially in the markets. Look forward to meeting you aboard.

Karen.

Sounds romantic, and it is--but it is also very warm. I've been down in Luxor in April and it's hot! (but a DRY heat...) The trusty Times Books World Weather Guide (Random House paperback) lists Alexandria in May average high temp of 79 (highest recorded 111!) Cairo average highs of 93 in May--(highest 116--yikes!) But lows in the same places/months average in the 60s--mid-days are for Mad Dogs and Englishmen! You will love Egypt, but take clothes for very warm conditions. It's the season of the khamsin, wind from the Sahara blowing toward the cooler Mediterranean. I envy you--Egypt is awesome.

bgood

Thank you for the replies. We were in Ephesus and Istanbul last year and decided then, to come again. Beautiful people and a fasinating Land. Some friends have decided not to come because of terroist concerns. I felt very safe in Istanbul (save for the traffic) and expect the same in Alexandria.

Archived