Shuttle Launch at Port Canaveral

tammi0916

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Question, for anyone on this sailing or anyone local. With the shuttle launch being scrubbed, it has been rescheduled for July 11, the day we disembark. Looks like it's scheduled for after 7PM. I'm real excited because despite living in Florida in the 80's and early 90's, I've never been THAT close to a shuttle launch. While I don't think you could beat being on the cruise just off the Florida coast (don't tempt me to book a back to back!), I guess I'll just have to "suffer" and witness it from Cocoa Beach. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? I know they close bridges and such early. But will we be able to disembark and just remain on the island? (Then worry about the traffic the next day!)

This was posted on a roll call thread and wanted to know if anyone knows it having the shuttle launch will have any effect on us getting out of Port Canveral on Saturday the 11th? Not that I wouldn't want to stay on the ship a few extra days but I will have a plane to catch!:confused:

Thanks,

Tam

My husband works in Cocoa Beach and he has never had a problem with any roads being blocked off when there is a shuttle launch. I have never heard of them closing the roads to the port either since there will be ships coming and going at different times and they can't block people getting to and from the ships.

I have never gone that way on launch day (I usually watch from my house or my job) so I don't know what roads people take and if they redirect traffic, but I know that Cocoa Beach is not blocked off since my husband drives there every day.

Archived